Thread: anyone fancy sunset camping Alstrom Pt August 8th overlooking Lake Powell

anyone fancy sunset camping Alstrom Pt August 8th overlooking Lake Powell

Hello, I'm planning to take my wife and daughter to camp for sunset/sunrise on the night of August 8 - weather forecast permitting - if anyone wants to join us. I'm told it's about 2 hours on dirt roads and a bit of slickrock at the end from Big Water (so not a bad idea to have 2 vehicles in case one has problems in the summer heat).

I hear it's arguably the best Lake Powell viewpoint particularly at sunset.
    Obviously we won't try if there's a danger the road will be or get wet and we'll be stuck.
    (we'll be in a Jeep Cherokee and just seen the thread on here about how they break down which is a bit worrying !!)

(we'll probably try driving to the Sundance Trail trailhead and walk 90 mins to the Dark Canyon rim, and also the Arch Canyon Overlook on August 12 and 13, although not sure which way round yet)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I plan on doing this in 2014. I have a stock Wrangler. Never been out there before. Can you drive right to the point itself and just pop up the tents? I heard some people say you have to park and hike. Can it be done in a stock 4x4?
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Here are some directions but if you search around google for Alstrom there are others and some maps http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15300
    It seems just the last 2 miles get quite bad and rocky and it's hard to see the "trail/road" for a bit so some people don't realise they can go further, others just park up and hike the rest, and others who think their cars can make it keep going.

Where swimming can be enjoyed with the view are my favorites over this, but this is good for sunset and sunrise both.
    If it is windy and hot all night you will wish you were not camped out so high above the lake ; )