Thread: Early June Uintas camping. Mirror Lake Highway/Wall Lake.

Early June Uintas camping. Mirror Lake Highway/Wall Lake.

Its not often that I get away from the hustle and bustle of the valley, and its an even rarer event that I get away with just myself. Given, I love bringing my family camping.

The plan was to camp somewhere along Mirror Lake Highway and do some easy hiking, and have lots of relaxation and decompression time. Some friends on mine headed up there the day before to get a camping spot and scope things out. We ended up at the Cobblerest campground. Very nice spot, very close to the river and nice views.

The next morning we headed up to check out the trail for Bald Mountain. We didn't get far, within a 100 yards of the turnoff there was snow. Wet and deep, needless to say, we turned around and initiated our backup plan.
    Name:  2013-06-08 10.19.20.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  86.2 KB
    This was taken from the hairpin looking back up towards Bald Mountain.

We drove up to the Crystal Lake trail head to check things out over there. Judging from the amount of vehicles it was clear that the trails were a little more manageable at this altitude. The trail to Wall lake was for the most part clear, there were still drifts now and then. As we made our way up the last 1/4 mile we encountered some larger drifts, and right before we came to the lake there was a drift that was still probably 6' deep, but was still firm enough to walk across.

Name:  2013-06-08 11.16.22.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  126.5 KB

I was surprised that there was still ice on the water. And the howling wind across that ice reminded me that we are in the high country, and I was glad I had packed a light jacket.

Name:  2013-06-08 11.20.41.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  81.5 KBName:  2013-06-08 11.22.06.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  74.1 KBName:  2013-06-08 11.23.51.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  94.0 KB

There was a small camp along the base of the cliffs on the west side, a couple people trying to fish in the breaks in the ice, and really that was it as far as other people up there.
    Name:  2013-06-08 11.55.21.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  20.3 KB

It really was just what I needed. I did however, get a kick out of Jim the camp steward who made his rounds 3 or 4 times a day to make sure you've paid and your tickets were current. You'd hear the bright red, older generation Land Rover before you actually saw him, he or someone had spent A LOT of time and money restoring it. The low rumble of the engine is how you'd know he was coming. Then you might see the very large antenna on the roof rack. Once the whole vehicle was in view it really was impressive. That thing must of had every bell and whistle you could think of, big ole winch, jacks, Hella lights, shovels. And the whole thing was like it had just rolled out of a paint shop. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Anyways, it really was a nice getaway. I forget how close that area really is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beautiful photography! I wish my kids are a bit more grown up so I can take them there, but certainly there is time for everything and for sure will have a trip to this area.

Quote Originally Posted by achaco View Post
    Beautiful photography! I wish my kids are a bit more grown up so I can take them there, but certainly there is time for everything and for sure will have a trip to this area.

For sure, I don't think that place will change much in the next few years, so I'm sure your kids will be able to see it in its pristine state. I have lil ones as well, 2 and 4. There were plenty of places up there where I wouldn't hesitate to bring them, the hike to Wall Lake is something that is definitely doable for them.

Any updates on current snow levels?

Yes. Last weekend, June 22-23, I hiked up shingle Creek, then down to Erickson Creek To Morehouse Creek. Then West to Island Lake. The next day I hiked out via the North fork Provo River trail and back along the road to the Shingle Creek trail head.

We only hit a couple of snow banks that you could easily be walk around. The passes had little to no snow on them. The Provo river was easily crossed by hopping from rock to rock. From the looks of the snow pack, I would say that all the passes in the area are either 100% snow free, or very close to it. Some of the mountain ridges had some snow of them, but not much. The bugs were non-existent at the higher elevations, >9000 feet. There were some in the lower portion of the NF of the Provo river trail. We did not use any bug spray during the two day trip. I have to report that the fishing was horrible! I didn't catch anything.

Yep. Everything in that area is wide open right now. This past weekend I hiked to Clyde Lake, summited Mt. Watson, then hiked over to Ibantik and summited East Notch Mountain the next day. Perfect conditions, and the mozzies are only gonna move in quickly and mess everything up from now on. :)
    Blog | FB

Last week the bugs were only bad for 15 minutes at dusk and then again in the morning. FISHING SUCKED!!!!!! No I take that back, it wasnt that good. A few snow banks around at 10k, but not many and they were few and far between. Even higher looked just as open and dry.