Thread: Russell Gulch rigging

Russell Gulch rigging

I'm splitting my Subway group to go down Das Boot and deciding whether to send my other team down the non-technical way or down Russell Gulch. How challenging are the 3 rappels in Russell Gulch? From pictures they look very straight forward (especially with bolts), but the 100 ft heights make me slightly nervous for my other potential leader. How awkward are the starts, and what potential is there for stuck ropes? Comparisons to other well-known rappels would be welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The first two raps in Russell are fairly straightforward, but getting to the last rap and the last rap itself are awkward and difficult. I had one person have a very miserable time on this last rap, getting over the roof. I think she has not been canyoneering again.

Thus, with the facts laid out as shown - I'd advise against.

Tom

Here is a link to our trip through Russell Gulch / Subway if you want to look through it and make your decision. There are quite a few pics of each rap sequence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyona...7634040210832/

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    but the 100 ft heights make me slightly nervous for my other potential leader. How awkward are the starts, and what potential is there for stuck ropes? .
    This quote/your evaluation of the potential leader concerns me more than the raps. I agree with Tom on this. Eliminate the worry and send them on the standard Subway hike. Best 'hike' ever!
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    This quote/your evaluation of the potential leader concerns me more than the raps. I agree with Tom on this. Eliminate the worry and send them on the standard Subway hike. Best 'hike' ever!
    Yeah, what he said. ie, what I did NOT say - if leading easy 100-foot rappels has you concerned about X's leadership, then yes, turning noobs over to X is an irresponsible thing to do.

Thank you for bringing that out, Scott.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Here is a link to our trip through Russell Gulch / Subway if you want to look through it and make your decision. There are quite a few pics of each rap sequence.
    Thanks -- that's great. Per Tom's suggestion, are the pictures of the last (Russell) rappel 6552-6563?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    if leading easy 100-foot rappels has you concerned about X's leadership
    Nah, but leading hard 100 ft rappels may have me concerned depending on how hard and what kind of hard. I wouldn't hesitate to have this potential leader lead Pine Creek, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    Nah, but leading hard 100 ft rappels may have me concerned depending on how hard and what kind of hard. I wouldn't hesitate to have this potential leader lead Pine Creek, for instance.
    I don't think it's any worse than the last rap of Pine Creek. The last rap of Russel you either have to downclimb to the anchor or rap 2 stage off of a higher tree and it has kind of an awkward start. 2 of the people in our group, this was their first canyon ever.

Yes, 6552-6563 are of the last rap. I added a few hundred more pictures from other camera's last night and 2211-2240 and 1010610-1010619 are also of the last rap. Safety is definitely always a concern, but it is a pretty short easy canyon. We enjoyed it, but the Das Boot approach is much better in my opionion

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Yes, 6552-6563 are of the last rap. I added a few hundred more pictures from other camera's last night and 2211-2240 and 1010610-1010619 are also of the last rap.
    Super helpful -- thanks again!

To close this out, the other leader had no issues in Russell. He said one of the anchors took a minute to see, but no problems. My Das Boot team met back up with the Russell team a leisurely 2.5 hours after splitting.

Biggest challenge of the trip may have been waiting for a slow group in the main Subway -- I downclimbed some logs at the last Subway rappel, looked around a bit, and then climbed back up in the time it took the [other group's] leader to attach himself to his rope. Fortunately, there are about 5 obvious anchor points around that area so we didn't have to wait any longer than we wanted to, and the slow group was pleasant and courteous.