Thread: Can I use Canvas Surf Mat instead of PackRaft in G.C.?

Can I use Canvas Surf Mat instead of PackRaft in G.C.?

Okay - so I made the mistake of buying Todd's Grand Canyoneering book and have now pulled a permit to do Cove Canyon in September. I was researching packrafts and wondered if I could use a canvas surfmat instead. We use these at the beach all the time, they are far tougher than the cheap plastic intex explorers and with a good pair of fins are very easy to use and once you get the hang of them, can duck dive/punch through fairly decent sized waves.

From my point of view, one would need to compensate being down in the water more with a better fullsuit as well as figuring out how to best to handle your gear but the upside of a lighter, tougher mat (get to sleep on it as well) than is easily to handle in rough water (at least for me) seems like a better option than the cheap packraft

Questions:
    1. Has anyone used them before to go down a river?
    2. Would the rangers have a fit?

Any feedback appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Okay - so I made the mistake of buying Todd's Grand Canyoneering book and have now pulled a permit to do Cove Canyon in September. I was researching packrafts and wondered if I could use a canvas surfmat instead.
    I ♥ NPS morning report :)

And...

The true story of a cheap vacation that got a little out of hand. In 1955 Bill Beer and John Daggett, at the time both recently out of the military, and in their mid 20s, footloose, and more or less unemployed conceived the idea of swimming the Colorado River through the 279 miles of the Grand Canyon-principally because they couldn't afford a boat. This simple idea escalated into a national news story and has been one of the legends of the Grand Canyon ever since. Never equalled nor duplicated, their illegal venture and many of its dangers, comic episodes, innovations, side effects and long term ramifications are the story of this book.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    The true story of a cheap vacation that got a little out of hand. In 1955 Bill Beer and John Daggett, at the time both recently out of the military, and in their mid 20s, footloose, and more or less unemployed conceived the idea of swimming the Colorado River through the 279 miles of the Grand Canyon-principally because they couldn't afford a boat. This simple idea escalated into a national news story and has been one of the legends of the Grand Canyon ever since. Never equalled nor duplicated, their illegal venture and many of its dangers, comic episodes, innovations, side effects and long term ramifications are the story of this book.
    I think I need to find that book for my Utah house's bookshelves!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I have been down Kern River (Class III) rapids on a board before. Not like that one but with handles on top. All I have to say is make sure you have knee pads and shin guards. I hit my knee hard enough to hurt through soft knee pads.

That's a great point! - I was assuming that the Colorado was deep enough where rocks/bottom would not be an issue, When you went down the Kern using the board - did you have any gear with you? how did you carry it with you?

I whitewater paddle and thought it would be fun to try after watching an Xterra commercial. The water was petty deep but there were things I hit under the water that I never saw. I only went down with a PFD and detachable waist rescue throw rope. I never thought about having a pack on while doing it. Depending on your weight, I would test the buoyancy of the board first just to be safe. Depending on how rough the waters are, I would want to be able to cutaway your pack in case you get pinned against a rock or caught on something if you get sucked down in a hole.

The river is friggin' COLD, dude. I bought the book as well...is the crossing simply a traverse or do you have to float half a mile or more downriver? That water is COLD, dude!

If there is a river near where you live with even some minor rapids, you may want to use the device, put a pack on you back, and see how it works...a test run. I'd have to read the trip description, but if this route means that you rap into a canyon and the river traverse is your only escape...then I would certainly do the test thing.

You may consider bumming a ride from one of the river parties...
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

well I just got a good posting from Rich Rudow on canyon collective regarding packrafting on the Colorado river. From his point of view (which I respect greatly as he is one of the guys that got this option opened up to all of us) it would not be wise to do anything outside the current rules/understanding in place as the NPS is still deciding the use of packrafts in the canyon.

We are going to play it safe and just go with rafts so as not to risk access for everyone by doing something that may upset the NPS