Thread: Replacing oil and water seals on a WR 450 03 water pump

Replacing oil and water seals on a WR 450 03 water pump

Question: Will I need a bearing outer style puller to do this?
    How do I know if the bearings are still good?
    Have a small leak through the weep hole of oil on the cover to the water pump.
    Plan on replacing all seals but have no idea how to check the shaft bearing for play.
    Correction the shaft bearings as in plural.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Trying to help a buddy out.
    He picked up a 04 that looks like maybe 6 or 8 hrs on the clock but I think it has sat in the garage idle way to long and things just simply dried out.
    $2k and not a scratch or rubb mark anywhere on till this last weekend Not even fully uncorked yet.
    I think he stole it but we have to get through a few things to make it right and he's on a very tight budget.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I'll be putting on a Tusk street legal kit in the morn and if we have the time before lunch new forks seals with and oil change.
    He will just have to take it to a pro for the rear shock.
    The water pump issues will be another day but I would like to get this done this week.

I advised him not to ride it until we get the water pump done.
    It's ok to have a little oil in your anti freeze but anti freeze in your crank is not.

No, do not need a bearing puller to remove bearing. Lay the bike on its side, remove entire ride side case cover. You will have to remove kickstarter, header pipe, and coolant hoses to pump. Drain coolant before you lay it on its side, but not oil. You should be able to pull off right side case cover without draining oil. Start bike up for about 2 minutes before you start wrenching to pump oil from bottom of engine up into the frame. That way you are guaranteed not to lose any when you pop that case cover off when the bike is on its side. The rest is fairly straight forward. You'll need a 14mm open end wrench to hold inner shaft while you remove the impeller with a 10mm? socket. Once those are separated, remove outer seal with a small screw driver or pick. Then you can take a socket 14mm or 15mm that will fit near perfect in the hole. Give it a good tap with a hammer and you will pop it out as well as the oil seal. Make sure you lube the new seals up with grease before installing. Let the bearing sit in the freezer for a couple hours before you try and re seat it. Use a socket the same diameter as the outer bearing race to tap it back into place. Easy Peesy.

Hey thanks Reedus I appreciate this a ton . Helps me to no end bro.
    Sounds really strait forward but them diagrams are not photos