Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falling in a Mae West slot

It's all easy and fun... right up to the minute that it's not :-)

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I've done quite a bit of rock climbing, starting at about the age of 35. I dated a girl that was really into it and we would go to Yosemite, Vegas, Boulder, etc...We would climb all the really fun 5.9 and 5.10 stuff, because that was her limit. I've tried several 5.13 and up routes but really didn't enjoy them...It's tough trying to grip something that is about as big as a short stack of dimes.

So, 5.14d...that's like, really hard...right? At the time of the incident, I had no idea what to rate it, but for a guy that climbs things like a lizard, it was hard. I've been back there since, and my 5.12 rating is based on my somewhat limited experience...having only climbed about 100 named routes.

Tell ya what, Mr. Flatiron...perhaps you could take a look at it and give me your expert assessment of it's accurate rating? I'd hate for anyone to assume that I'm bragging about something that in fact was...easy?

It's easy enough to find. Go to Mule Canyon at the north end of Cedar Mesa. It's a pretty popular canyon, at least in the lower end. Walk nearly all the way to the end of it. There's a ruin up there called "Wall Ruins". To get to the cliff of "near death", climb up the gully of the side canyon the ruin is in, make the top and walk over the the other side, to where you are looking directly down at the wall ruins. Drop down to a nice, fat ledge...walk that until it stops cold. Look down at the ledge about 10 feet below...Imagine climbing up that. Not much there, dude.

5.12? 5.14d? (whatever that is) Hell, I don't know. It's mighty sketchy, though. But like I said, you're opinion of what it is would be helpful...
    Just razzing ya.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Just razzing ya.
    Right back at ya, dude!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.