Thread: Woody Canyon

Woody Canyon

A video TR of the trip Jared and his NWO team took me through. Woody Canyon was a beautiful little slot canyon. Thanks @peakbaggers and @Canyonbug for the video and pictures you sent me to add to the film :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great Video! This canyon has been on my list for some time now. How long did this canyon take from car to car? Were the wetsuits absolutely needed? Could you also comment on the overall water quality, some of that water is looking awfully… frothy?

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Great Video! This canyon has been on my list for some time now. How long did this canyon take from car to car? Were the wetsuits absolutely needed? Could you also comment on the overall water quality, some of that water is looking awfully… frothy?
    Thanks!

We did the canyon in conjunction with Wood Chuck canyon. The time it took for us to do both canyons was 8ish hours.

in my opinion, YES the wet suits were needed for doing this canyon when we did it. I was a little chilled in my 3mm shorty wetsuit. BUT who knows if they would be needed now. One of the guys in my group did the canyon just the week before as part of the North Wash Rendezvous, and it was completely dry! I imagine that the water in Woody will be gone soon.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    in my opinion, YES the wet suits were needed for doing this canyon when we did it. I was a little chilled in my 3mm shorty wetsuit. BUT who knows if they would be needed now. One of the guys in my group did the canyon just the week before as part of the North Wash Rendezvous, and it was completely dry! I imagine that the water in Woody will be gone soon.
    When we did the canyon the week prior to this one, it was dry except for the two keepers. We were able to skirt over the first keeper with some fancy rope work and bag tosses. The second Monster keeper we bypassed with a traverse and there for stayed dry the entire time. That next week several storms rolled through and we knew that going back we would encounter water. We packed the wetsuits along and I am glad I had it. I also wore a 3mm shorty and was perfectly fine. This canyon doesn't get necessarily deep walled so the sun isn't too far away. We were however in and out of the water enough that it would have been a chilly experience without wetsuits this go around. Having the wetsuits this time also allowed us the desire to tackle the monster keeper which @Kuya styled very well with a beached whale technique. It was a fun day in there with the water tip top full. Gonna be down now a bit and you might find it in a bit more difficult mode than what is on the video.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    We are going to do Woody and Woodchuck June 28. For the life of me I am trying to figure out what day you actually descended these canyons in the video. Am I blind or is the descent date not posted? I am guessing the canyons will be dry enough, OR it will be hot enough to do them June 28th without wetsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by mtndude3737 View Post
    We are going to do Woody and Woodchuck June 28. For the life of me I am trying to figure out what day you actually descended these canyons in the video. Am I blind or is the descent date not posted? I am guessing the canyons will be dry enough, OR it will be hot enough to do them June 28th without wetsuits.
    The date probably isn't posted. We did this canyon on April 11th
    My YouTube Channel