Thread: Upper and Lower Calf Creek Falls

Upper and Lower Calf Creek Falls

On May 26, my bro-in-law and myself finally decided to bag these two falls.

We've all hiked to Lower Calf Creek falls with the family and we've all looked up at that bad boy thinking, "That'd be a sweet rap!"

We drove from our in-laws house in Marysvale to beautiful Escalante country on Sunday morning. We got between mile markers 80-81 by 8 a.m. There is a little dirt road between these two mile markers on the westside of the road, follow that down until you reach the end of the road and park, if you can find a spot. From here it is was an easy, over cairned trail, and it took us about 20-30 minute to descend to Upper Calf Creek Falls.

Name:  image (3).jpg
Views: 302
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  23.5 KB

Once we reached the falls we hiked up on top of it. We were going to jump into the upper pools for a bit but we decided not to cause we weren't exactly sure how long it would take us do Upper and then hike down to Lower falls. We evaluated the best spots for a good solid anchor. There was a nice big bush to the east of the waterfall, which would put us off to the side of the waterfall. We like to go straight down the falls. Our next option was a big tree to the north of the falls. We tied together every bit of webbing, slings, and rope to extend close enough to the waterfall.

It was probably 75-ish degrees that day, but the water was freaking cold, so we put our wetsuits on and put on our gear. I went down first. There wasn't anything technical about this waterfall, all I can say is that it was pretty damn sweet and I highly recommend it. My bro-in-law followed me next. We thought about doing it again but we decided we better bag our rope and anchor and continue down.

Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 273
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  5.2 KB

We easily hiked back to the top of the falls, retrieved our gear and headed down stream to the Lower falls. If you've never hiked down this creek before I highly recommend it. It was sweet. There were beautiful sandy beaches, big water holes filled with trout, and some pretty sweet grooves in the sandstone creek that reminded me of the Subway in Zion National Park. It took us about an hour and thirty minutes to get to Lower Calf Creek falls.

When we arrived, we looked over the edge of the falls, and holy crap there were a ton of people there. At least 50 or so. There was a nice tree right above the falls, we anchored to that, tied a biner block to the rope and threw the rope down. I read that the rap from that anchor is 140'. That's a lie, our rope was a good 20' short from the pool below and we had a 60 meter on us. My bro in law was actually on his way down when he decided to double check to see if the rope was down, and it wasn't. He descended at least 30' already so it would have been pretty tough for him to come back up the falls. There is actually a little ledge and a bolted anchor where he was at. So I rappelled down to him and we re-rigged the anchor and my bro-in-law headed down first. All I could hear was tons of cheering and clapping from the people below. He made it down, swam across the pool, grabbed a camera and filmed me as I made the descend. It was a sweet rappel, I was glad to finally bag it.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  137.5 KB

As we were cleaning up our ropes, folks started coming up to us and telling us we were nuts and thanks for putting on a good show. Ha.

We took a small lunch break, changed out of our wetsuits and continued down the horrible sandy trail. This trail sucks, it's easy, but the sand makes it rough to hike.

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  210.3 KB

It took us about 6 hours from start to finish for this little adventure. I highly recommend it. It was fun.

Happy Canyoneering
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the beta on it, I've have always wanted to do this one.

Great pics and helmet btw.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Nicely done! Last year when we were there I sat looking up at the falls and wondered about this rappel, super cool. Thanks for the trip report.

If you'd like to get rid of the last two unintended images try this method:
    Click Edit Post
    Click Go Advanced
    Under attachments Click Manage Attachments, this will bring up all the photo files associated with your post. Look for the two photos you'd like to remove in the lower part of the screen that pops up (below the line dividing the new window that pops up). Notice in the upper right hand corner of each attachment (photo file) there is a small x. Click this x and it will prompt you to remove this attachment. Save and all should be well.

Yep, no problem.