Thread: French Canyon (exit)

French Canyon (exit)

On 25 May 2013 our group managed to get down into Parunuweap Canyon and exit up French Canyon. I learned from the Powell Plaque that Parunuweap is a Piaute word for "Roaring Water Canyon," to us it is the East Fork of the Virgin River. This Trip Report is dedicated only to the exit canyon. This exit takes about 1 hour from the river to the dirt road where we camped, and gains about 900 vertical feet. There isn't any real exposure on this exit and was pretty straight forward.

I had a hard time finding detailed information and pictures about this route prior to our trip and thought I'd help fill in some gaps. I've heard stories about people lost down in Parunuweap and taking the wrong exit only to find an impassible cliff or some sketchy climb out. It is my hope to alleviate a little anxiety one might have about this exit. French is only for people who have business on that side of Parunuweap, there's nothing over on the other side of the canyon in terms of food and water. Our goal was to reach our 4x4 truck on the other side. A few days prior we shuttled this truck over loaded with camping gear, water, food, and beer. Shuttling a vehicle takes about 5 hours total (from Springdale and back to Springdale).

There are probably many reasons to use this exit, we used it after going down Fat Man's Misery and again after Rock Canyon.

I'd like to give thanks and credit to Shane at www.climb-utah.com for personally mentioning this routes possibility to me. The hike was awesome and very memorable!

First an overview
    Name:  French Exit 1.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  167.5 KB

Name:  French Exit 3.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  118.7 KB

What the entrance looks like when approaching from downstream
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  82.4 KB

Wow! colors were amazing...
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  273.8 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  9.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  250.3 KB

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  12.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  191.5 KB

This is where the riparian section ends. If hot out, douse your clothes and hat with water here for a little relief from a rather hot dusty hike out. This hikes difficulty reminded members of my group of the end of the subway.

Name:  13.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  23.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  451.6 KB

Name:  25.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  232.5 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  29.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  204.4 KB

Name:  31.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  33.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  83.9 KB

2. Likes Glenn, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How was the road getting in there? I've ridden my ATV over some of it and it was deep sand. Do you think a stock Tahoe would make it?

Would it be logical/possible to use this trail head as an approach and return for Fat Mans instead of the Checkerboard approach?

Beautiful pics and excellent info, thanks.

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    I've been out there in my stock F150 and my jeep cherokee. It totally matters what time of year you're going out there. If you head out there now it'll be fine and firm still. If you go in august after it's been torn up by the 4wheelers then it is really sandy. I wouldn't do it without at least a stock 4x4. There are a couple of sections with tight turns coming out of deep sand roads that necessitate slowing down and without 4x4 you could easily get stuck.

French canyon is the best route in and out of there. Plus it's a nice canyon though I'm always depressed when I finally reach the ridge line and see I still have a long way to go.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

7. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    How was the road getting in there? I've ridden my ATV over some of it and it was deep sand. Do you think a stock Tahoe would make it?

Would it be logical/possible to use this trail head as an approach and return for Fat Mans instead of the Checkerboard approach?

Beautiful pics and excellent info, thanks.
    Thanks for the compliment Dave. Yea that road out is kinda nuts, very deep sand in places. My truck is a late model Tacoma 4x4 and our shuttle vehicle was a newish Tacoma 4x4. The disadvantage I had was a smaller wheel base. My tires didn't really fit into the tracks on the road so I was basically wedging into the sand. There were places I was in 4L and finessing the throttle. I have almost no technical off road experience but I consider myself a thoughtful driver, I don't gun-it and hope for the best. Going out seemed way worse than coming back, coming back was actually pretty fun (I felt like a rally driver). The newer Tacoma did very good out and back. I've never driven a Tahoe before so I really can't comment. Anyone else care to comment?

As far as a trail head option for Fat Man's… NO, I wouldn't recommend it. You would have to go down French, down Parunuweap a few miles, up the 4th class Misery exit to a reasonable entrance to Fat Man's... Then! Down Fat Man's, up Parunuweap and up French... Not really an energy saver in my opinion.

Like I mentioned before, this exit works great for a Rock Canyon loop.
    Hope this helps.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    You would have to go down French, down Parunuweap a few miles, up the 4th class Misery exit to a reasonable entrance to Fat Man's...
    Are you referring to the loose gully (aka high-water exit) just west of the Misery/Parunuweap confluence?

FYI there is an easy 3rd class exit downstream of there, near the Powell plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Are you referring to the loose gully (aka high-water exit) just west of the Misery/Parunuweap confluence?

FYI there is an easy 3rd class exit downstream of there, near the Powell plaque.
    Ah no.. I was referring to the 3rd class exit I've never done before, not the high-water exit. Sorry, I'd heard it was a 4th class. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah no.. I was referring to the 3rd class exit I've never done before, not the high-water exit. Sorry, I'd heard it was a 4th class. Thanks for the clarification.
    Welcome! Of course it is likely possible to make a 4th class exit there, too, but the 3rd class route is easy to find...

13. Likes WorkBad, ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    On 25 May 2013 our group managed to get down into Parunuweap Canyon and exit up French Canyon. I learned from the Powell Plaque that Parunuweap is a Piaute word for "Roaring Water Canyon," to us it is the East Fork of the Virgin River. This Trip Report is dedicated only to the exit canyon. This exit takes about 1 hour from the river to the dirt road where we camped, and gains about 900 vertical feet. There isn't any real exposure on this exit and was pretty straight forward.

I had a hard time finding detailed information and pictures about this route prior to our trip and thought I'd help fill in some gaps. I've heard stories about people lost down in Parunuweap and taking the wrong exit only to find an impassible cliff or some sketchy climb out. It is my hope to alleviate a little anxiety one might have about this exit. French is only for people who have business on that side of Parunuweap, there's nothing over on the other side of the canyon in terms of food and water. Our goal was to reach our 4x4 truck on the other side. A few days prior we shuttled this truck over loaded with camping gear, water, food, and beer. Shuttling a vehicle takes about 5 hours total (from Springdale and back to Springdale).
    Very thorough! And, nice packs!

Unfortunately, you seem to have missed my writeup, which is disguised as an exit option for descending Rock Canyon nearby:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/...l/rock-canyon/

Tom

Thanks Tom. Been using the packs for a few years now. I'd love em to pieces but they just won't fall apart!

Yep, missed your exit on Rock before the trip. You pretty much nailed it though. I liked the gallery photos too, really captured the important parts.
    Thanks for adding your link too.