Thread: Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box

Folks, Pandora's Box was attempted by me last year and let's just say I've been hiding a secret about that trip for a while now and I should have done my homework a little better before I went on that trip with rookies (maybe one day I'll write about that story). So, what I'm trying to get at is that I needed to hit that canyon again with people of my skill range so that I can finish that bitch from start to finish without flying the "easy" way out.

This past Saturday, June 1, myself and 3 good friends went at it.

We arrived to the trail head around 8 pm Friday night, which was perfect because we had just enough sun light left to set up camp. We did the usual "night before preparation", a nice hot fire, flask of whiskey, and making sure we had all our proper gear and maps ready for the morning.

My alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. I immediately had the adrenaline rush of excitement as I put my canyoneering clothes on. Plus, I was still thinking about my last trip to Pandora's. She's a tough canyon, so I was super excited to do it again, without having to help people all the way through the canyon. We had our last bite of breakfast and last sips of tea, we were off ready to go at 6:30 a.m.

The approach to Meeks Mesa is pretty easy to get to. All you gotta do is follow the well made path by the cows and all the cairns every 100'. We reached the top by 8 a.m. From there it's just an easy stroll heading north east'ish to the mouth of Pandora's Box. Before I know it, she's in front of me, just waiting for us to enter. The canyon gitters always kick in for all of us as we enter a dangerous area, but it's go time. We suited up and were in Pandora's Box by 8:30 am. We easily did the first down climb into a little pool of water, about shin deep. Next up, the sweet rap off a little tree stump that is wedged in the canyon walls. I'm not going to go into full detail on every move and every rap. I'll just say we worked our asses off downing climb, sucking our guts in, and stemming over some sweet tight canyon areas. Before I knew it, we were 3 hours into the canyon...and we were at the final rappel already too. Most folks are in a rush to get out of a canyon, but we like to sit there and take it in before we hit the last 140' out of Pandora's Box. I mean, not too many people do what we do, it's amazing.

The last rap is a 2 point anchor system off some nice chock stones. Our biner block is on, 8mm rope is thrown down and the 6mm pull rope is tied to the 8 mm. We each paid our respects and headed down to solid ground.

There are two exits available in Pandora's, the recommended way is the long way which takes you to the Chimney Rock Parking area and this route also requires very simple route finding. Of course, since that was the recommended way, we decided not to go that way and we did the shorter route which requires 1 3/4 miles hike heading west'ish up a dry creek bed. Then from there, ascend 500 plus feet up a mesa which requires some pretty good route finding skills and then you'll land back on top of Meeks Mesa.

As we were 3/4's up the mesa, I saw the "spot" where I had made a fire for my group to stay warm last year when our exit attempt failed. I stood over that fire, frustrated, so I kicked some more sand on it and continued hiking up. From my old fire pit to the top of the Mesa was only 15 more minutes....15... more minutes.

It was now 1:30 p.m., we hauled ass to get to this point of our trip. We all knew it was all down hill from here to get back to our camp/trail head, so we of course, hauled ass again. The exit from this route, is the same way you got up to Meeks Mesa from the trail head, so route finding was pretty damn easy.

It was now 3 p.m., about 78 degrees out and we were done. Eight hours and 30 minutes to complete Pandora's! Not bad at all.

I was extremely happy, excited, thrilled...whatever you want to call it to finally get this canyon completely finished from start to finish.

The End

Happy Canyoneering.

Oh, I didn't have a camera for this trip but two of my friends did GoPRO the whole trip so once that get there pics up I'll post some.

2. Likes SRG, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Holy crap! That's a quick run through that canyon! We did it a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure we rocked a 14 hour day. Also, I broke my hand. Sounds like you guys had a better time in there. Definitely an awesome canyon, though!
    --Cliff

I know, I shoulda went into greater detail but I basically wanted to state that last time I did Pandora's we completed the canyon but on the hike out a few people in my group couldn't make it any further so we ended up calling for help and 6 hours later a helicopter landed to get them and me I guess. This time I was with a skilled group, I'm not trying to brag, but we really did do it in 8 1/2 hours from start to finish. I've never heard of anyone finishing it that fast. Seems like most people finish it from 11-15 hours. I guess we just had a good team in the canyon.

How'd you screw up your hand?

Congratulations on completing the canyon!

I mention only a couple of points, around safety, in hope that it may be of value to some, even the silent readers I know are out there. And if so, it is worth posting. Hope it is the best approach.

Indeed, through forums, taking training courses, and learning from canyoneers more experienced than I while in “battle through the canyon”; all continue to help me. In each case, it wasn’t the instruction that helped the most, but actually doing the activity and then being adjusted on the subtleties I missed. For each to be silent would have been a great disservice. I’m still learning.

We went through the day after you did, early June 2. It took us longer to complete the canyon.

The first rappel off the old log had dual webbing that had almost slipped completely off. When positioning, always good to check the line of force and consider a girth to further minimize a chance of a slip.

The second to last rappel, was setup from two anchors: a bush with black webbing, and then red webbing on a slung boulder. In the middle, was tied a small/thin rap ring that loaded both anchors. Upon our inspection, the rap ring was worn well over half way. Pushing on the sides caused it to fail. Furthermore, the angle between the boulders and the bush was over 100 degrees.

We were not sure how long this setup was there, so were very cautious on the life of “that little bush with a root coming around a rock”. Ideal line of direction (to avoid a tight rap or rope groove) to anchors were scarce, so we ended up anchoring from another bush, up higher, with redundant/double webbing for safety for the abrasion on the rock lip. Not perfect. A perhaps better system, if that little bush is OK: would be to equalize from it and the new bush, keeping the angle as small as possible.

Mountaineer, yes the second to last rappel was a horrible set up. We did notice the aluminum rappel ring had a "BIG" grove mark in it, so we just went off of the tree/bush and not that one. I think that bush was plenty secure enough to rap off of. I bet majority of the people rap off it too.

Which exit did you take?

I broke my hand crushing it under the rope when my weight fell onto it on an awkward rappel. Now I have a beautiful cast on it! I definitely learned my lesson this time.
    --Cliff

9. Likes Jolly Green liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bclark29 View Post
    Mountaineer, yes the second to last rappel was a horrible set up. We did notice the aluminum rappel ring had a "BIG" grove mark in it, so we just went off of the tree/bush and not that one. I think that bush was plenty secure enough to rap off of. I bet majority of the people rap off it too.

Which exit did you take?
    Fantastic you saw the problem. The other R/L was attached to the webbing that secured the boulder. High loads would still be present. And rope friction at that point would also be very hazardous. We removed and took out the entire rigging, and reset the anchor.

I would be cautious of that small, exposed root bush. It seems fairly sturdy, but with the large angle from the other anchor point there would have been increased repetitive loading, and from different vectors.

We exited up Meeks Mesa. Initial attempt up put us at a challenge with the first cliff band. Not 4th class, so rather than retreating and trying the other "break point", ended up doing an easy 5th class climb about 15'. Once we got to the break/band section, it became a maze. Lots of foot prints to dead ends. It was navigation heaven. It would have been even better to figure out if we weren't already so tired and burned to a crisp from the afternoon sun. I kept thinking about the MIA exit, and being grateful...

Folks, Pandora's Box was attempted by me last year and let's just say I've been hiding a secret about that trip for a while now and I should have done my homework a little better before I went on that trip with rookies (maybe one day I'll write about that story).
    Would be very interested in learning about it. I realize it puts "you out there", but it has value for us all to learn from. Group dynamics is an important topic.

We found a fire pit right after the unavoidable drop into the waist deep swim (the only section of canyon with much water). We all thought it may have been from the scouts that night waiting for help.

Yes, we did see that as well, I also assumed it was from the boy scouts. Near the top of meeks mesa we found another fire pit too.

Yeah, maybe I'll write a story soon about what happened on my trip last year in Pandora's Box. I defiantley learned a huge lesson on that trip.

13. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Yeah, maybe I'll write a story soon about what happened on my trip last year in Pandora's Box. I defiantley learned a huge lesson on that trip.
    While I enjoy TR's and pictures, what I like most is the epics I read on Bogley. It seems there is always something to be learned.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

15. Likes Bclark29 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Holy crap! That's a quick run through that canyon! We did it a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure we rocked a 14 hour day. Also, I broke my hand. Sounds like you guys had a better time in there. Definitely an awesome canyon, though!
    I think my time with Ryan C. was 7 hrs
    but he is pretty fast and that is HIS canyon!