Thread: Curious as to how hard this route is.

Curious as to how hard this route is.

I'm not interested in doing it. I just want to understand the difficulty better. I'm sure it's a behemoth, knowing what Jared is usually up to, canyoneering isn't my thing, though.

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/zironman/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My group and I were the ones who got passed by Jared and his group in Imlay on Sunday -- we were being not so efficient on a pothole and had taken maybe 30-40 minutes to complete it when Jared's team arrived and promptly defeated it in perhaps 2 minutes. Jared called it the "basketball" pothole. I gave the first person out of the following pothole a little assist up the sloping edge, so there's no way they could have finished in the amount of time they did without our help. They would have taken at least 10 seconds longer otherwise.

4. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Cool. I know Jared is an absolute monster, but the scope of this thing escapes me. Just not familiar with the canyons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Riseforms View Post
    Cool. I know Jared is an absolute monster, but the scope of this thing escapes me. Just not familiar with the canyons, etc.
    For most Icebox, Imlay and/or Orderville is full day in itself. To do all of them along with the connections is quite a feat

What does it mean to "Batman" down the shorter drops?

Quote Originally Posted by edsbay View Post
    What does it mean to "Batman" down the shorter drops?
    They don't rappel. They down climb the rope quickly.

Chatted a fair bit with Jared last weekend after the Pocatello 50 race (he didn't look that winded...ha ha...I, on the other hand, was a wreck and I only did the 20 mile version). Very hard to comprehend how much terrain these guys covered especially given the technical nature of it. Both Ryan and Jared are super talented climbers (and that Buzz feller is no slouch). The three of them have the ultra running thing down. He's fairly sure a motivated and talented crew could do the Zironman in sub 24. Yeah...right.

What they did was huge. The distance, the peak bagging, the technical canyons...really hard to wrap the head around.

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post