Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Squeeze

The Squeeze

Sometimes I'm so happy when we finish a hike that I kiss my truck upon our return. Saturday was one of those days. On June 1st, 2013 Steph and I romped through The Squeeze. Arguably... it romped on us.

Just like individual people, every canyon has a personality. Mystery is charming and easy to be around. Shenanigans is a control-freak. Das Boot is like a blues guitar player; cool, smooth and unfettered. The Squeeze is like a billionaire's trophy wife. It's unspoken every minute of the hike:

"Mister, you're gonna pay if you want to play."

For just the two of us, this canyon was a daunting task. It's really a table set for four.

Knowing it would be a long day, we felt up to the task. Steph was amazing, bombing into potholes and delicately mantling out unassisted. Soon we arrived at the 'tough keeper'. The water was 18 inches below the exit lip, making a solo escape impossible. Steph dropped into the pothole and notified me that it was very cold, much colder than the other water that we had encountered. The clock was ticking as I readied a pack toss.

The ledge from which you launch your pack is very awkward. You must throw it hard to the left towards the exit lip, about 10-o'clock, from a fairly tight stance. One try... not far enough. Two tries... no. Three tries... splash! Not even close. Time to try a potshot. Good thing she's wearing a 7mm suit, or she would be frozen by now.

After 3 throws with a potshot, I land it on the far side of the exit lip. Steph has been in the pothole for 20 minutes and is beginning to get chilly. The lone potshot is 1/2 full.

Steph verrrry delicately pulls on the rope attached to the potshot. "Good enough" she says. Amazingly, she pulls herself out of the pothole and delicately places her elbows on the smooth exit lip. With the balance of a ballerina, she gently shifts her weight forward and mantles out of the pothole. From my perch I marvel at my wife's athleticism, my arms on fire from throwing stuff.

A thrilling scene from a thrilling day.

We were very busy on this hike. I only had time to take 4 photos:

Name:  IMG_6000.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6002.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  176.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6004.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6008.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  114.8 KB

Random facts that some Squeeze-bound canyoneer might find helpful:

We FLEW through the technical portion of the hike in 6hr 45min. Our round trip time (from Factory Butte) car-to-car was 12hr 20min. We wandered a bit, but not a lot. The approach hike from the Factory Butte TH is awful.

We completed about 18 rappels. Maybe more? Two small rope bags would have saved us about 30-45 minutes.

This hike is NOT suited for a team of 2. If one of us had suffered an injury, it probably would have been a disaster. Many partner assists are required to complete this canyon. A 4-6 person team is strongly advised.

Leap-frogging rappels would have saved us another hour (if we had a third 100-foot rope and a team of 4).

Bring at least 4 liters of water per person. You'll be working hard in a wetsuit for about 6 hours and you'll sweat most of the 4 liters out.

It's a LOT of work for a lot of good canyon action. Enjoy!

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes accadacca, SRG, oldno7, Scott P liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool' I did this last year with a team of 5. I love that canyon so far it has been one of my favorites I've done. Having been through there I would never attempt with a team of 2. Your an Animal.

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great canyon. Nice trip report-well done.

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Congrats, that's a hard canyon for a small team.

We usually do the throwing first, before anyone gets in the pothole, if it looks like it might be needed.

Tom

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice job to you both! Congrats.

When we hit that keeper, it was about 2' of water and at least 15' or more high to the lip. It is a tough one!

Long day, but worth it. Love that canyon, one of my favs.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

I miss the old days when we could drive to the cottonwood grove at the base of the Moroni Slopes.

Is it still bolted to hell or did someone make good on the threats and pull them?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Is it still bolted to hell or did someone make good on the threats and pull them?
    That would be me generally doing the threatening. Lots of talk, not much action; so it is still all bolted to heck!

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...vey-sept-2012/

Tom

Looks like you guys had a great trip!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Congrats, that's a hard canyon for a small team.

We usually do the throwing first, before anyone gets in the pothole, if it looks like it might be needed.
    Thanks Tom! It felt like a step up to the 'next level' for us. It was a good choice to test what we have already learned.

And for the pothole, Steph wanted to go in and scout it while I set up. She knew that it would take longer than the other potholes. She swam laps to keep warm in her super-thick wetsuit and felt fine once she climbed out. I was prepared to pull her out at any moment if needed. But generally, yes, the method you suggest is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I miss the old days when we could drive to the cottonwood grove at the base of the Moroni Slopes.
    Grandpa Ice, could you tell us how you drove there and why it's not possible nowadays?
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

At one time there was an old mining road from hidden splendor, though muddy creek gorge that connected to the factory butte road. It was closed by an agreement with the atv guys to get the behind the reef road opened.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Austin, I'm glad you asked this question. It might make for an interesting discussion. Yes it's still bolted to hell, and threatening to remove the bolts from this canyon is a sadistic thought. Let me explain:

We found the canyon tippy-top full of water. The natural anchor solutions were very few. You might say "Well, if you had an Auganchor, you could probably ghost it." Well, yes... if you can bail enough water out of numerous 30-by-20 foot potholes... and if you had 6-8 very strong teammates... and if you had 18 hours of daylight.

Is ghosting this canyon possible under ANY condition (dry or wet)? I'd say it's possible, but would require a huclean effort by a large team of expert canyoneers. The risks would be very high.

So, where am I going with these ramblings? I have two thoughts:

First, this canyon seems to be bolted fairly. It is a challenge to complete this canyon in one day. Removing all of the bolts would likely turn this route into a 2-day hellish expediton. Even the purest of the purists would lose interest if it was 'clean'.

Second, if The Squeeze is going to exist as a bolted trade route, it should be bolted in the standard fashion; two bolts at each station. Rapping 80 feet from a single ancient piton is below my standard of 'safe'. Erosion will eventually take it's toll on the numerous single bolt anchors in this canyon, then eventually someone will get hurt or die. If I ever head through this canyon again, I'll first learn to bolt properly then back up the single bolt/piton anchors that currently exist.

Where there is one bolt in the The Squeeze, shouldn't there be two?

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    First, this canyon seems to be bolted fairly. It is a challenge to complete this canyon in one day. Removing all of the bolts would likely turn this route into a 2-day hellish expediton. Even the purest of the purists would lose interest if it was 'clean'.

Second, if The Squeeze is going to exist as a bolted trade route, it should be bolted in the standard fashion; two bolts at each station. Rapping 80 feet from a single ancient piton is below my standard of 'safe'. Erosion will eventually take it's toll on the numerous single bolt anchors in this canyon, then eventually someone will get hurt or die. If I ever head through this canyon again, I'll first learn to bolt properly then back up the single bolt/piton anchors that currently exist.

Where there is one bolt in the The Squeeze, shouldn't there be two?
    It is kind of a dilemma.

It is well-known as a moderate technical canyons with lots of rappels and fun. Removing the bolts would make it a "test-piece" canyon, and people expecting something easier would be in big big trouble. So as much as I might fantasize about cleaning it up, it would be wrong.

Removing the traverse line at the big keeper has made it significantly harder. There are a few more miscellaneous bolts that could be removed without making it significantly harder, and maybe these should be removed. I think adding these difficulties adds to the experience of the canyon, though I am expecting a rescue there any day now. (There used to be a fixed line across there, accepted as part of the canyon's hardware. It would get ratty, then someone would replace it.)

The beef is, as SM said, that the hardware currently in place is crap. There are not that many people around who know how to put good bolts in soft sandstone, and spending two days and $150.00 to bring the canyon up to spec seems like a lot of work, for a rap-and-swim kiddie canyon that could be a challenging test-piece. Thus, those who have the skills to put good bolts in are unlikely to be interested in the effort, and those interested are unlikely to have the skills and tools. What's a community to do??

I'm willing to support anyone interested in working on it with training and tools. Contact me via real honest-to-His-noodley-appendage email if interested. It took us about 5 years to bring the bolts in Imlay up to a respectable standard... I would expect it to take about the same in there.

Tom

Is ghosting this canyon possible under ANY condition (dry or wet)? I'd say it's possible, but would require a huclean effort by a large team of expert canyoneers.
    Steve Allen ghosted it solo.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

It is always a pleasure to read your TRs, this one is no exception. I'm so impressed with the two of you on completing this canyon. I can't wait to give it a shot... maybe in a few years or so.

PS If you ever find yourselves in need of partners send me a PM.

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Removing the traverse line at the big keeper has made it significantly harder. There are a few more miscellaneous bolts that could be removed without making it significantly harder, and maybe these should be removed. I think adding these difficulties adds to the experience of the canyon, though I am expecting a rescue there any day now. (There used to be a fixed line across there, accepted as part of the canyon's hardware. It would get ratty, then someone would replace it.)
    It is quite difficult, but makes for a VERY interesting obstacle. It was the most memorable part of the canyon, and I'm glad we didn't miss out on the experince.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    No.

****ing.

Way.

After going through, I just can't imagine that being possible. I'm not calling anyone a liar, it's simply a superhuman feat to ghost that canyon solo. Scott, do you have any other info as to how he did it? Was the canyon bone-dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'm not buying that.... He might have used all natural anchors (which I believe is true) but he was not into ghosting.

While I have never done a route with SA, I have done many with some of his closet friends and canyon partners and they are not really into ghosting. What ghosting techniques SA and friends did know/use (at least at the time) are extremely primative by todays standards.

Also... SA was pretty dang cautious and used a lot of commonsense, so I have a hard time believeing he did the canyon alpine style and solo. SA was a fan of siege style when it came to the unknown. SA was also a very talented climber which as we all know helps make the difficult much easier.

27. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm not buying that.... He might have used all natural anchors (which I believe is true) but he was not into ghosting.

While I have never done a route with SA, I have done many with some of his closet friends and canyon partners any they are not really into ghosting. What ghosting techniques SA and friends did know/use are extremely primative by todays standards.

Also... SA was pretty dang cautious and used a lot of commonsense, so I have a hard time believeing he did the canyon alpine style and solo. SA was a fan of siege style when it came to the unknown. SA was also a very talented climber which as we all know helps make the difficult much easier.

What he said.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Pardon my ignorance here, but what's the current story with SA? I know the backstory to him, but what's the current one? Is he still active? Does he stay in contact with you guys? Is he afraid of the blogosphere/forum world? Is he focused on climbing these days? I've always wondered what happened to these pioneers...us youngsters are curious!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"