Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Near miss in Imlay

From now on, when I'm bonking, I'm going to say "oh no, i'm getting suspension trauma!"

This isn't to say you weren't actually getting "suspension trauma"

I can't even spell doctore, so how would i know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am updating this thread as promised. I did Imlay for a second time in August 2014. I posted this trip. This time for the next to the last rap in Imlay, I hung my pack and used a chest loop to help direct the rope. Also I purchased a smaller harness. Now I am using a Petzl Corax 1. I did not experience any issues this time. The last rap was on Sterling 9mm Canyon IV-smooth. One could get use to rappelling on 9 mm rope. Just thought you might like to know.

4. Likes harness man, ratagonia liked this post
    Great thread, Spinesnaper!
    YES.
    Harness "suspension trauma" can be a serious issue!
    In our 'day job' Desi and I are the world's largest manufacturer of stunt harnesses.
    We design and fabricate stunt and acrobatic harnesses for Cirque du Soleil and most action films world wide.
    Suspension trauma can include several different 'traumas' (like restriction of breathing), but the biggest issue for acrobats and stunt performers hanging on wires is the restriction of blood flow to/from the legs.
    The usual culprit is the squeezing of the femoral artery(s) by leg straps/loops.
    This has led to incidents of performers passing out, sometimes requiring trips to the hospital.
    There are several contributing factors including the weight and physical condition of the performer, the time they are suspended, whether they are moving or stationary (not moving is the worst), and of course the design of the harness (does it provide enough surface area, padding, etc to keep restriction of blood flow to a minimum).
    Here is what I suggest:
    1) go to a well stocked climbing store and try on and HANG in a Bunch of different harnesses. Small changes in the design might make a difference by keeping away from the leg arteries. If your legs go numb that is a BAD sign: the femoral nerve is right next to the main artery. Generally, the more surface area the harness provides, the better. (Less lbs per sq inch pressure). I would favor harnesses designed for BIG WALL climbing- they are intended for more 'hanging around'.
    2) Get pressure off of the legs by hanging your pack, when practical. Using a jumper sling from your chest area to the rope may relieve abdominal strain but still increase pressure on the legs.
    Tom's suggestion of rocking to the side is a good one and also used by performers on the wires- it rolls the leg arteries away from the 'down' leg strap and takes pressure off the 'up' leg.
    3) In the stunt world, fatigue and dehydration seem to be an important factor.
    4) Limit exposure. A safe, smooth rappel will speed things up. Tried a CRITR yet?
    Best, Todd

6. Likes Rob L, Taylor, Kuya, bhalvers2002, ratagonia liked this post
    Todd

Thank you for believing! I know what I felt and yes wearing a pack with a wet 200 ft rope did not help, dehydration, and a loose harness all contributed.

CRITR -get this thing stocked with Sports Chalet! Soon my current ATS is going to be worn through and CRITR will soon be on the harness. (Naturally, I would love to get a $250 titanium scarab). The reality is that these devices are disposable with very limited lives in wet canyons and fine sand abrading the soft aluminum surfaces.

I am looking forward to getting one of your packs! Please tickle your pack post when those babies are available for order.

8. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hi Spinesnaper
    Your experience was/is a common concern in the entertainment industry.
    For aerialists and stunt people, harness suspension trauma is a serious hazard and is (supposed to be) carefully monitored by those who are supervising the performance.
    Ignoring the symptoms (numb legs, pale skin, dizziness, feeling faint) could send you to the hospital as it did for Tom Cruise on a movie shoot a few years back when he passed out after extended time suspended in a stunt harness.
    When consulting for flying effects companies, we count harness flight times in SECONDS (not minutes, or hours).
    For canyoneering I am VERY picky about choosing a harness and go for comfort, support, and good fit above all else.
    ...back to the pack design...best, Todd