Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Signs that you may not be the best canyoneer in town

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    A little harsh perhaps?
    Not harsh enough.

The tuxedo seems like an external manifestation of the careless and reckless person within. From the tux, to the pack, to the plastic kneepads, to the dangling camera and non-lockers, to getting stuck and wasting the time of SAR, EVERY action taken (and not taken) by this group drips with nincompoopery.

What if he died in there, in his tuxedo? What if the unnecessary rescue helicopter had crashed? Then could we call him a clown?...

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Not harsh enough.

The tuxedo seems like an external manifestation of the careless and reckless person within. From the tux, to the pack, to the plastic kneepads, to the dangling camera and non-lockers, to his friend getting stuck and wasting the time of SAR, EVERY action taken (and not taken) by this group drips with nincompoopery.

What if his friend died in there? What if the unnecessary rescue helicopter had crashed? Then could we call him a clown?...

I thought it was he (tuxedo man) who got stuck ???
    It was his friend?

OK.

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I thought it was he (tuxedo man) who got stuck ???
    It was his friend?
    I read the thread again and it was tuxedo man that got stuck. My mistake. (rant edited for accuracy)
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    ^^^^

A little harsh perhaps?
    agreed...nothin wrong with having a little fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebernhoft View Post
    agreed...nothin wrong with having a little fun with it.
    Very strange that you and Scott would have this guy's back in any way/shape/form....

Being silly and safe is cool (like your suits in Cable -very cool). Being silly and reckless is not; which is the spirit of my rant...

I'm not the only one that's glad Captain Kirk found that camera. It's good to visualize what kind of teammates to avoid.

7. Likes Erik B, Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Very strange that you and Scott would have this guy's back in any way/shape/form....

Being silly and safe is cool (like your suits in Cable -very cool). Being silly and reckless is not; which is the spirit of my rant...

I'm not the only one that's glad Captain Kirk found that camera. It's good to visualize what kind of teammates to avoid.
    I'm with Slot Machine on this one. It's not the suits, per se. It's the fact that part of this "costume" was found as litter in the canyon, along with other stuff. .. a partially eaten apple? really ??

actually, the apple was whole i believe, uneaten and in decent shape.

Since he is a new member, I thought it might be a little harsh to poke too much fun/call names on the public forum, but then again I didn't read all of the other thread until now either. Believe me, I do see your points.

Like you and everyone else, I'm also scratching my head thinking "what the ____ is he doing"?

It's definitely not cool to leave a bunch of trash in the canyon, or to cause a rescue if someone is reckless.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

OK, I must have misread that.
    Did you take it out?

Back to the OP...

You might not be the best canyoneer in town when you whine about a lack of bolts in a remote and difficult canyon...

13. Likes deagol liked this post
    You might not be the best canyoneer in town when you are told about a "sand trap" and you bring a pitching wedge!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    You might not be the best canyoneer in town when you whine about a lack of bolts in a remote and difficult canyon...
    This is a comical thread, not a commentary thread. Keep your propaganda to yourself, bootboy.

In preparation to do Mystery canyon on a summer day, you decide it will be easiest to put a wetsuit on at the visitors center, then climb up to observation point and down the canyon. You also only bring 500 ml of water because you don't really drink that much water usually...

This happened about 4 years ago when i invited a friend of mine. She went and changed into her wetsuit and I was like... "umm, you might want to put that on later" but she was determined! We got off the shuttle and she says "I think I'm going to go change" I'd also told her to bring 3 liters of water and when I asked her about it she said "she had enough". She had less than a liter and when her lips started cracking I asked if she wanted some. Eventually she accepted and we both got through the canyon a little dehydrated (didn't need wetsuits either). The good news is that we did more canyons later and she always had enough water and put her wetsuit on at appropriate times = lesson learned. Can you imagine if she had tried to climb up that trail? hehe
    - Gavin

17. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post

Signs that you may not be the best canyoneer in town

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    This is a comical thread, not a commentary thread. Keep your propaganda to yourself, bootboy.
    Propaganda? Ethics maybe. Lighten up.

You might not be the best canyoneer in town if a post like mine gets you all upset.

19. Likes Byron, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Propaganda? Ethics maybe. Lighten up.

You might not be the best canyoneer in town if a post like mine gets you all upset.
    You might not be the best canyoneer in town if your username on Bogley is Bootboy.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    You might not be the best canyoneer in town if your username on Bogley is Bootboy.
    Ouch. You got me good there. I'm going to take my ball and go home.

22. Likes Eric Holden, Kuya, qedcook liked this post
    Actually I think what qedcook and bootboy both mean to say is "you might not be the best canyoneer if you go by the call sign DesertDuke". And ironically my first post on here was semi-whining about no bolt at a big drop-off but my suckiness is based on much more than me loving bolts. Reading this thread does sting just a bit because it describes me in so many ways. But...its all in good fun. I think even bottom 5th percentilers like me can take some humor in it! Luckily I don't fit all of them.

So, trying to get it back on track......eh........you might not be the best canyoneer if......................hmmmmm.....I was going to say if you carry more than one knife but that was already covered well in another thread................hmmmm I already did the "if your name is desertduke" thing and that is so true that it isnt funny anyway.............hmmmmm..............I got it.......you are at the bottom of the rap and your group asks how you are going to retrieve the rope and you state "retrieval?"

24. Likes SRG liked this post
    So now that we've determined all the canyoneers that are not the best in town, I wonder which one really is the best in town?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

That would be me of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    That would be me of course.
    Arrogance: "I like that in a pilot."