Thread: Hiking between Bryce and Kodachrome Basin

Hiking between Bryce and Kodachrome Basin

Weekend after next, my father and a friend are headed south to Bryce/Kodachrome basin area, and they are looking for suggestions for day hikes in the area. They are both in their early 70's, and in pretty good shape. So they are looking for hikes in the 3-6 mile range, without much exposure or steep elevation gain (one of them has vertigo that can be pretty bad). Any suggestions? I'm going with them and can keep their loads light.

Thanks.
    Deb

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Willis Creek. Roadside, not much vertical, 2-3 mi round trip, maybe a trickle of water, and gorgeous to boot. And it's only 15ish minutes from Cannonville.

Willis is a pretty canyon, You could drop them off at the top and go park where the road crosses Sheep creek and hike down and meet them coming up sheep creek. Losee is a pretty canyon, You could just follow the horse trail up the canyon and return back down. There is not much elevation change until you try to climb over the ridge and drop down into Casto canyon, Pretty much the same thing for Butch Cassidy draw, but it has a little more elevation change. If you start at Coyote Hollow, You could do the upper stretches of Thunder Mountain, If you start at Coyote Hollow its all down hill to Red Canyon trail head. But the vertigo may get them as some of that trail is pretty high up with steep drop offs along the edge. But the fist mile or so isn't too bad. Sheep Creek Willis Creek Losee

5. Likes ddavis liked this post
    Thanks for the information. I've done Willis Creek with my father, as part of a loop hike starting at Bull valley Gorge, so that is definitely one of our options. I like the look of Losee Canyon too. This helps quite a bit.
    Deb