Thread: Looking for one or so partners for Zion June 2 - June 6

Looking for one or so partners for Zion June 2 - June 6

My wife and I are taking vacation the first week in June and are considering spending as much time as we can getting to know the canyons in Zion. I have some (but not a lot) of canyoneering experience and my wife has years of climbing experience, but no canyons under her belt.

Given that it's mid-week, I imagine it's tough for folks to get out, but if you happen to have some time and would enjoy mentoring a motivated couple through some of Zion's canyons, please ping me. I should state that we're both very physically active and capable (marathons, crossfit, mt biking, etc.), so we won't be a liability inside the canyons.

Cheers...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any PMs yet about your request? Just curious, could you do a canyon on the 6th?

No PMs yet. Yes, we could do a canyon on the 6th. Do you have something in mind already?

I'm so sold on Bogley! I now have a couple trips lined up with some experienced folks. Stoked. Looking forward to getting to know people in the community better. Thanks everybody!

Drats. Turns out the couple we were joining on Monday had a family emergency and cannot go. Is there an equivalent of hitch hiking your way into a canyon :)

If you're not able to get anyone for planned dates, then you may consider this...hang out at a trailhead of a canyon you would like to do and ask to tag along! Now, I'm not talking about the big boys where the canyoneers may not be keen on taking newbies, but the most frequented ones that have people going through every day...ask at the backcountry desk which canyons are the easiest that lots of "less experienced" go through. Keyhole comes to mind.

Bear in mind that if you've never rappelled before, and you have no gear, that imposing would be just that...and disregard everything I've just said.

You could take a crash course, buy the gear and let 'er rip with just you and your wife. Heck, my girlfriends first slot and rappels occurred in Pine Creek...sink or swim, baby...she's a fast learner. It's not hard, especially if you're in good shape.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a good time regardless of whether you get some pros to show you around or not...although that would be nice!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by StarFangledNut View Post
    Is there an equivalent of hitch hiking your way into a canyon :)
    Depends on the canyon, Subway there are enough people going back and forth that its usually easy to get a ride. Pine Creek and Spry, if you drop gear/extra party members at the TH and then park at the exit you can usually hitch a ride through the tunnel. Others with a long shuttle like Englestead would probably be hard to hitch a ride.