Thread: Black Hole of White Canyon

Black Hole of White Canyon

First stop on our Memorial Day weekend trip was the Black Hole of White Canyon. I consider the Black Hole to be one of my top 5 canyons of all time and it's the one canyon I can always count on my kids wanting to join me swimming through, which is extra sweet. Half of our group of friends and family had never done the Black Hole before so that was an added bonus, nothing like introducing folks to one of the best canyons on the planet.

Name:  IMG_2687.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  102.2 KB

The above picture is of the entire group at the "you will die if you travel beyond this point" sign.

The slot is full of relatively clean water. I'd say it's above 3/4 filled with water, which is about as good as you can hope for with the Black Hole. The gnats at the trailhead are not too bad, just slightly annoying. Be packed and ready to roll when you arrive and they are not an issue. There are no gnats once you are in the canyon proper. No log soup to swim or logjams to deal with. There are two or three easy downclimbs that some noob's might prefer to rappel. Wetsuits are currently a must, a shorty would be good enough.

I'll try and post some video or pictures when time permits.

The canyon beta is here: http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It looks like a new sign has been placed as it's not the same as the old one.

Who placed the signs and who gave them the authority to do it?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The sign has not changed since 2006.

Black Hole 2006
    Name:  2006 BH.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  188.5 KB

The sign was installed by the San Juan County Sheriff's Department. They are also the ones responsible for search and rescue in the Black Hole.

wow i can see the whole Burrows clan there!!!

Yup... about 90% of my canyoneering these days includes at least one member of the family. But the wife and kids are active in lots of other stuff so getting the entire clan together is getting kinda rare.

Name:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  161.5 KB

As they get older, it'll become even rarer. I've never had kids, but my friends that have assure me that when they hit a certain "teenage" nothing in the world matters more to them than their friends...hanging with mom and dad is to be avoided, it seems. Of course, there are always exceptions...sons liking to fish with dad, for example.

The girls, especially, seem to be obsessed with "cell phone coverage". My girlfriend took her 17 year old daughter with us to Hawaii. I called it when I said "She'll be bored out of her mind in two days". She had her thumbs glued to that phone the whole time, and had to tough it out for a week before we put her on a plane back to Denver.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Here is the video of our 2013 trip through the Black Hole.

Enjoy....

10. Likes Taylor liked this post

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Loved your video! I can't wait to do this canyon.

Great video, thanks for sharing!!