Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterproof Camera

Don't forget that sandproof is also why we buy these things - I had a system malfunction on my last trip down to Shaman's Gallery in Tuckup Canyon and my Nikon P310 regular camera planted itself squarely face down in fine sand. Neither one of the front lens leaf-caps works any more. And the irony is that my old Canon D10 was used on vacation for a great many not-at-risk shots and took great vacation photos (but it leaked and died when I tried to go snorkeling with it) . I now have a TS20 - used once in Zion Narrows with mediocre results (difficult lighting in fall).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Ice, if you're still looking for a camera, obviously you have many choices. If you look at my trip reports, all the shots were taken with an Olympus Stylus Tough...great point and shoot.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I haven't bought a camera yet. Still trying to figure out what I want/need. And I understand the sand, which is why I'm looking for a new camera. Sand ruined a camera on a recent trip so I had no pictures to go with the route descriptions I had written up.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

My advice is check out the Sony camera's as well.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...facetlist=true

I have the TX-10, which is the older version of the TX-30 mentioned on this site. This camera (TX-10) has only one weak spot, the lens cover. If you have (too much) sand inside that mechanism, it gets damaged. Still, if you are careful with your equipment (try to keep the sand out of there, i.e. don't just throw the camera in the sand) and wash the sliding mechanism every now and then when water is avialable (just open and close it a couple of times in the water), this camera is awesome! It is not as robust as some others, but handled carefully it keeps up as good and make great pictures!
    I see the other camera mentioned (TF-1) for the first time. It doesn't have the Exmor-sensor I read, don't know how it keeps up in picture-quality due to that.

Check my TR's for pic's taken with the TX-10. I may have slightly changed contrast or brightness on the pics before posting them (or glued some together). I don't photoshop them in any other way.
    Sony is great at low light pictures, and when it is not an action picture, they have a great modus for strong backlight.

Good luck with the search, grtz!

you can either get the best ($$$) and hope not to break or lose it (Olympus TG1 perhaps) or something more affordable in the recognition that you WILL break or lose it at least every 2 years - that's why I bought a Lumix.

Does anyone with a Panasonic know if they still rig their cameras so that they work only Panasonic batteries?

I ran in to this issue a few years back. They wanted $40+ for a battery, if you could find one, when equivalent non-Panasonic batteries were selling for $10.

I typically carry 5 batteries on a multi-day outing and can't see paying $200 for a set.

I have an extra battery for my Lumix TS20 - the batter is by Wasabi Power - no issues

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Don't know if this is good or not but on goldbox deal right now for $179

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I've had the both the Panasonic Lumix TS20 and the Sony TX-10. Ultimately water and sand ruined both of them, without beating on them too hard. I'm curious to know if anybody has used a GoPro as a point and shoot solution. The new Hero 3 Black is shooting @ 12MP for stills and 1080p 60fps for video. Sure, you don't have the ability to zoom, but the cameras are bomber tough and small. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    I have an extra battery for my Lumix TS20 - the batter is by Wasabi Power - no issues
    Ditto using Wasabi batteries. I think their charger is kinda huge, but, it did come with euro adapters, which was nice.

I use the batteries in two different cameras, no issues (Canon S95 and a Panasonic Lumix).

First off, here is probably the best web site to review cameras with links for where to order them the cheapest: http://www.dpreview.com/

You can search by camera features. IMO the two main features a canyoneer would want is waterproof and manual exposure capability. Since having manual exposure in a point & shoot is not a common thing, filtering on those features leaves only 3 cameras. Richo PX and the Pansonic TS4 and TS5.

I own the TS3. It takes great photos and has lasted 2 seasons in the canyons and shows no signs of slowing down. My GF just got the TS4 with the manual mode. Looking forward to using it. I'm not looking forward to adding a tripod to my pack to take advantage of the manual mode.

To me point and shoot means I'm never going to use manual mode and I'm never going to carry a tripod. Manual and tripods are worthless to me. My point and shoot camera lives in my shirt pocket and is set to auto. I pull the camera out click a pic and shove it back into my pocket. That is what I want my camera to do well. and I like it to shoot HD video in a reasonable manner.

FYI: I've been using a Canon Powershot elph 100HS the past two years, it was $120 new. It does a great job of taking the pictures (and video) I want. It's downfall is it's not waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    To me point and shoot means I'm never going to use manual mode and I'm never going to carry a tripod. Manual and tripods are worthless to me.
    Yeah, kinda that way for me too. I do like having some features and most nicer waterproof cameras have "some".

Wide angle lens is also super nice. At the risk of losing my man card, a macro setting for taking close ups of flowers, uhh, I mean bolt placements, is also super nice.

A spot to attach a tether.

Has to fit in my wetsuit pocket.

Folks debate the merits of having an exposed lens or not. One that hides when not in use is nice, as, it doesn't get scratched up and maybe avoids water droplets some. They do seem to fog, though.

My experience with the TG-2. Awesome camera unless you want the video. Apparently the way the camera is manufactured the lens clicks during filming. The speaker picks this up and unless you plan on putting sound over the top the video is entirely unwatchable. Olympus claims there is nothing they can do, its the way the camera is because of the compact nature of it. Overall awesome camera. Disappointed in the video though.

Interesting, my TG-1 makes no such noise.

Shane
    What camera did you end up getting? How do you like it?

I still haven't brought a waterproof camera. For my website I've just been pulling screen shots from my GoPro. It is working pretty well. The problem for me is I can't GoPro and take stills on the same trip.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I still haven't brought a waterproof camera. For my website I've just been pulling screen shots from my GoPro. It is working pretty well. The problem for me is I can't GoPro and take stills on the same trip.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Our new Lumix TS5 is crazy good. With dozens of pre-programmed settings, it seemingly can do anything. GPS, Wifi enabled, it even has a shake sensor to tell how bad your essential tremor has become.

Our B&W pics from Fry Canyon turned out great and required minimal editing. The posted photos on Bogley don't quite do justice for the 16 megapixel resolution. We highly recommend it, if you are still shopping.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Beware of the Panasonic cameras....I just lost a 4 month old TS-4 cause the battery door popped open while doing the 7 teacups....I was at the final swim and when climbing out someone told me that my camera was floating in the water. I pulled it up and the door was open. The problem is the pathetic locking mechanism. Its basically two sliding latches, neither of them have a true locking feature. The main slide lock protrudes past the body of the camera and gets unlocked just from handling the camera or putting it in your pocket. I've found it open on several occasions and had to keep sliding it back closed. Well this time they both slid open and the camera is toast. The Nikon has a far superior push button while twisting lock. In fact every other waterproof camera out there has a better lock than the Panasonic....