Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Camera

Waterproof Camera

So what is the hot setup for canyoneering waterproof point-n-shoot camera's this week?

And hurry so I have time to leave lots hints laying around the house before fathers day rolls around.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fuji for the price.
    Cannon for the quality

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And hurry so I have time to leave lots hints laying around the house before fathers day rolls around.
    My friend's Panasonic Lumix TS20 has produced some very good shots. That will be my next camera.

His Panasonic produces better shots than my Canon D10. That being said, my Canon has been amazingly tough and I've been very happy with it. 3 years old, dozens of canyons, snorkeling in the ocean, frozen while snowboarding... it's insanely tough for an electronic gadget. If Canon comes out with a 16MP waterproof camera soon, I'll get it instead.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Olympus TG 1 or 2

Better lowlight than the lumix, the only area which this camera does not outrage the lumix is the lowlight video. It's a close second though.

Lumix.

Got my shinny new Olympus TG-2 in the mail today. Bought it for the fast lens (f/2 - good low light perf like Bootboy says) and durability. Hopefully it will be providing excellent photos for many trip reports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought the Olympus Tough TG-630 a few months ago and have liked it. It took a tumble down an 80 foot cliff in Spry and works just fine. Did pretty well in the dark narrows of Heaps last weekend, considering I still don't know the best mode to optimize pics. Still a notch or two below the quality of the TG-1/TG-2 Bootboy mentions. A decent option for ~$175.

Ahh let's see... I've been through about 5 waterproof cameras, since I've gotten into Canyoneering, almost 3 years ago. Here's my thoughts...

Fuji XP10 - I went through 3 of these. First one I lost. 2nd succumb to leaking water real quick. Picture quality was good enough. Video mode was ok.. as you could zoom while recording. 3rd one of these, just broke. Gaskets tore, and buttons didn't do what I wanted them to. Manual settings suck, and the range doesn't go very far. Overall.. crap, and wouldn't ever get another one.

Panasonic Lumix TS2 - Awesome camera. For the most part, pretty bomber. Picture quality was better than the Fuji. However, while in video mode, you can't zoom in while recording. Great bang for the buck. My cousin however went cliff jumping with his in his pocket (25ft), and it bit the dust. The one I had, lasted for quite some time. I lost it and bought the Panasonic Lumix TS3.. and then found my TS2 a few months later. Still badass, and worked great for canyons. It was awesome having 2 cameras for a while.

Panasonic Lumix TS3 - Even better than the TS2 when it came for picture quality. It took some of the best pics in canyons. I loved the camera, and its features. I loved the program mode, which let you adjust EVERYTHING from aperture, sensitivity, and shutter speed. I managed to sneak some pictures of a moonbow (rainbow at night), with a tripod, and a 60 second shutter speed. Probably one of the best selling points of this camera. If you got the time to play with settings, it rocks! Getting to know this camera does take time though. Once I finally figured it out... I then lost this camera as well.

Olympus TG1 - This is my current camera. I decided to change brands, as although I'm a lumix fan.. i haven't had good luck with keeping them around. I also lost a bad ass point and shoot Lumix (not waterproof) which i've had for YEARS. For this reason, maybe its luck? (or so i hope). The TG1 has great options. You can add on a fishbowl lens to the camera, and take wider photos. Or even a telephoto lens as well, for that perv-zoom. I love the low aperture of the camera (f2.0). Low light pics are vibrant, and less noise gets added in. The video quality is pretty good. I'd say it is on par with the Lumix TS3, except you can actually zoom-while recording. It is a little confusing for settings, as i've used the lumix for years. However as a point-and-shoot, it takes phenomenal pictures. Downside of this camera, is that it doesn't have as deep of manual settings as the lumix (that i know of). It doesn't have the ability to change the shutter speed. Just aperture, and sensitivity (ISO). Essentially the TG1 is the same as the TG2, except the TG is more gimmicky. So for about $100 less, you get the same camera for last years model.

In the end, I would say as a normal "point and shoot" for deep, dark canyons, get the Olympus TG1. So far it seems more durable, and has great On-the-go settings. If you have time to play with settings while in a canyon, the Lumix TS3 takes my vote. Fuji can just bite my

Ren

10. Likes Krrristi liked this post
    I have a Sony, and my little point and shoot is better in low light than my partners newer Canon or Panasonic. I think the low light feature on the Sonys is really good. Mine is a 2007 - 7.2mp model and the newer ones have really improved. I’ve got my eye on the 16mp rugged model as it is time for an upgrade.

I've got an Olympus Tough that I bought because it has an HDR setting (high dynamic range). HDR, if your not familiar, is for getting the most out of pictures that are a mix of shadows and bright light (like slot canyon photos). The Olympus takes multiple pictures at once, each at a different exposer--i.e. one optimized for the low light, one for moderate light and one for bright light--and weaves them into one picture. Awesome results! The only thing is that the camera needs to be held steady while taking HDR shots. I usually just place my hand against the canyon wall or use the 2-sec timer (so the camera doesn't move while I push the shutter).

I'm sure other water proof cameras have the feature now. For me HDR is indispensable.

The camera on my Galaxy S3 has HDR and I love it. Thanks for mentioning that.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    I've got an Olympus Tough that I bought because it has an HDR setting (high dynamic range). HDR, if your not familiar, is for getting the most out of pictures that are a mix of shadows and bright light (like slot canyon photos). The Olympus takes multiple pictures at once, each at a different exposer--i.e. one optimized for the low light, one for moderate light and one for bright light--and weaves them into one picture. Awesome results! The only thing is that the camera needs to be held steady while taking HDR shots. I usually just place my hand against the canyon wall or use the 2-sec timer (so the camera doesn't move while I push the shutter).

I'm sure other water proof cameras have the feature now. For me HDR is indispensable.
    My non-waterproof Nikon P310 has HDR - I used it 100% on my last trip - and overall - I feel that photos are too dark - I am not pleased. Maybe I need to shoot in RAW for some shots (get a better camera)

I have an Oly tough not sure if it is the TG1 just says tough. I hate this camera. I do not know what the photo term is but its reaction time is terrible. It is also very slow to load to the card. I now have a Lumix TS3 greatest point and shoot I have ever had. Great camera.

Has anyone tried the Canon PowerShot D20, I have seen a lot of posts about the D10 anyone one have some canyon time with the new Canon waterproof camera?

Been using my friend's camera for past two years: Waterproof and shock proof

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20D 16.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom

Used on PineCreek, Mystery and Spry. Sorry would link you the camera, but since I'm not allowed to until I 'post a few times'.

So what is the difference between a Panasonic Lumix TS3 and a TS20, beside over $200?

I also see a TS25 and a TS5 all for around $200

I really don't care to spend $400 on a point and shoot, because I have a bad habit of destroying them in the slot.

Anyhoo... which Lumix do I really want? Yes, I could do the research but I'm sure one of you camera guys already knows the answers.

So what is the difference between a Panasonic Lumix TS3 and a TS20, beside over $200?

I really don't care to spend $400 on a point and shoot, because I have a bad habit of destroying them in the slot.

Anyhoo... which Lumix do I really want? Yes, I could do the research but I'm sure one of you camera guys already knows the answers.

I am not sure of the actual difference between the TS3 and the other models, but my TS3 is now over 2 years old with more than 100 canyon trips on it and is still working like a champ. I have dropped in from 6 feet onto solid rock countless times and it sat underwater in Cibicue Canyon for close to 4 hours before I was able to find it and it still takes the same quality of pics as right out of the box. Carrying the camera in a pelican case has saved a lot of wear and tear on it as well.

I shoot with a canon S90. Has a large sensor for a small camera. The current model is the S110 with a beautiful 24 mm equivalent wide angle lens. But the set up is big and bulky. The camera is not waterproof but canon makes a great water case. Unfortunately these cases get the crap beaten out of them in the canyon. You can see the photos from my Imlay trip report. Generally I try to buy the cases used on ebay and this has worked out well. Of course my favorite is shooting with the 14 mm wide lens on the Canon 5D or the 21 mm lens on the leica M9 but I am afraid that my partner might decide to use one of these cameras as a chock stone for rapping off in the canyon and accepted leaving these very expensive but amazing cameras out of the canyon.

Ken

lets see if this works - ratings from Amazons reviewers, normalized to unity, try again, get rid of lesser performers so it all fits
    Olympus TG-1 Pentax WG-2 w/o GPS Canon D10 Canon D20 Nikon AW100 Pentax WG-1 w/o GPS Panasonic Lumix TS20
    0.527 0.500 0.524 0.524 0.528 0.389 0.490
    0.247 0.344 0.199 0.238 0.174 0.190 0.237
    0.067 0.031 0.075 0.070 0.090 0.087 0.070
    0.080 0.063 0.076 0.063 0.086 0.071 0.046
    0.080 0.063 0.126 0.105 0.122 0.262 0.156
    IGNORE>>>> 0.528 0.389 0.352 0.365 0.490 0.211
    0.344 0.199 0.238 0.174 0.148 0.183 0.237 0.270
    0.031 0.075 0.070 0.090 0.087 0.070 0.070 0.110
    0.063 0.076 0.063 0.086 0.071 0.093 .061 0.046 0.144
    0.063 0.126 0.105 0.122 0.262 0.275 0.322 0.156 0.265

Um.... I'm sure there is a difference but you sound like me with technology. Its pretty durable and waterproof. Get a wrist floater so if it drops into the water, it won't sink to the bottom. I would go with the cheaper one my friend has.

You saw my post: *Memorial Wknd: Heroic Rescue from Spry Canyon*
    The photos from the canyoneering part is from the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20D 16.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom.
    Go with it if you think the quality is good enough for you.

Good luck!