Thread: Give up your holes!! (aka... help a new UT fly fisher out)

Give up your holes!! (aka... help a new UT fly fisher out)

I'm not asking for your wife, just some beta on where to fly fish in Utah, especially the southern part.

No particulars need be posted to this thread, a PM would be awesome. Specifically know I'm planning trips to fish the Boulders, Uintas, and want to fish streams such as the Fremont and smaller waters in the area. Heck, i like my own adventure and appreciate vague hints more than direct "go to this lake, use this fly" kind of stuff. I can't give you much in return yet, but I am well versed in Yellowstone, the upper Green River basin, and Wind Rivers. I even know where you can catch a Golden in the winds as a day hike from the trailhead.

Here's a vague hint with easy clues as an example!

I caught this nice rainbow recently on one of the forks of the Sevier. There was nothing hatching, so nymphs ruled the day and I missed one pretty mammoth brown tossing streamers at cut banks. Good access, just off the good old highway.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome!

The Uintas have so much stinkin' water that it's not even worth trying to talk about. I will say that 19 inch brookies are within a day trip from Utah County and they live in waters that can be driven to.

Boulder: "Rim Lakes" tend to have bigger fish than the lakes on top, unless you're talking about grayling. Small ponds that require some hiking will leave you smiling, though plenty of great fish can be driven to as well.

The Fremont has some really nice browns and rainbows in it. You don't have to get very far from the highway to find them.

Thousand Lake Mountain has a few lakes and they can be really good to visit. Don't overlook the Solomon Basin, to the north.

The Fish Lake Plateau might be my favorite place on Earth. Fish Lake itself is pretty neat, but I rarely fish there. Check out Google Maps and explore the surrounding mileage to the north. Great fishing, great scenery, great fun.

The Wasatch Plateau (aka The Manti) is packed with opportunities. From hatchery sized rainbows to huge cutthroat and tiger trout, anything is possible there. Good lakes to get started on are Huntington Res, Cleveland Res, and Electric Lake. All have fish of all sizes and they're very close to each other.

Keep fishing that Sevier. It's a winner. Try Otter Creek Reservoir and Piute too. Those lakes pump out some nice, hard fighting rainbows with attitude.

Panguitch Lake, Navajo Lake, Kolob Reservoir, Tropic Reservoir, Baker...All good southern lakes worth checking into.

Good luck! Make sure to post reports when you get out. Everyone loves photos, even if they don't respond too often.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

4. Likes poiboy liked this post
    Awesome. Thanks for all that info. Gives me a great starting point and good ideas for further research. Gonna try for an early foray into the boulders next week sometime. i'll give a report for sure.