Thread: Plantar Fascitis or...?

Plantar Fascitis or...?

I'm a 45 year old recreational runner, 200 lbs. I run 5ks and mix it with the intervals and the quicker 1.5 milers. Rarely will I ever run over 5k. I have been running on some Brooks Glycerins (recently upgraded from the 9's to the 10's) primarily due to the extra cushioning. I think I have developed a case of plantar fascitis. Heel hurts in the AM as soon as I get up, and after I sit for a while and get up and walk. Doesn't hurt while I run. Pain is right at the heel just after the arch. I have a pretty high arch.
    My question is, is there anything I can do to alleviate the issues? Some have told me to throw some extra arch support in my shoe, some have told me to just stretch the heck out of my foot before and after running (which I usually do). I don't want to stop running because of this, and I don't think the issue is drastic enough to go see my podiatrist just yet. Anyone been through the same issue and maybe have a relief for it? Thanks in advance.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am a runner and I have got Plantar fasciitis for about a year. At the beginning I could not step on my feet in the morning and today I am almost over it. First of all you should listen to your body. If some kind of treatment makes you feel better then keep on doing it. There are many kinds of treatment for plantar fasciitis and you should follow the ones that make you feel good. I took a complete rest from running for 3 weeks and then slowly returned to run. Today I am still not running as much as I used to but I am getting closer. Instead I started swimming which is a great cardio workout. There is an interesting webpage about running and plantar fasciitis in: plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Running.html
    Take care & Good luck

Blog Entries
    So it sounds like you run heel first?
    What happens when you do a mid-sole strike? Same pain? Less/more?

I run and I have a high-arch as well. I use dr scholls inserts and it has been a more distributed foot-strike when I run so I don't get any localized pain or soreness.

You can't really stretch out your feet to much as it primarily works on bigger muscles groups such as your quads, calves and hams. I would suggest a deep tissue massage after every run, as well as trying compression socks to help with recovery. I usually use a ace bandage and wrap from the top of my foot to mid-calf after I run and it GREATLY improves blood circulation and flexibility the next day.

You could try those things for a week or two and see what happens or if any improvements occur.

If not, then I would suggest a podiatrist. Oh, and one last thing I would not take any pain meds to mask the foot pain. Listen to your body (as mentioned in the previous post).

Good luck! Keep us posted, I would like to know what happens or works for ya.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Go to your local book store and go to the magazines. The current 175 page "Runners World: Complete Guide to Running" has a small section on plantar fasciitis on page 98. Great info and walks you through some good rehab exercises. My father has tried the prescribed midsoles and the whole 9 yards, and has never had success with his plantar fasciitis. I told him to give the workouts/stretches a try as it is a more natural solution and focuses on fixing the problem instead of working around it. Just my thoughts...
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Thanks for all the feedback. Funny thing is, I am not a heel striker, I run mid to toe. I thought this was the reason my condition was aggravated.
    Will definitely check out the aforementioned solutions. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum