Thread: Ideas for Day Hiking in the Kanab Area?

Ideas for Day Hiking in the Kanab Area?

Hello again,

I'll be heading out to Utah soon to start my Buckskin Gulch backpacking trip. We'll be staying in Kanab for a couple of nights before hitting BG and would like to get it some good day hiking in the area. Any suggestions?

We were thinking of heading over to Bryce Canyon - the scenery looks fantastic! We prefer places that are remote, off the beaten path and don't mind long, technical hikes.

Thanks again,
    Lucinda

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shamans Gallery, in Tuckup Canyon, long way down a dirt road, then 1750 ft elev drop/gain, about 8 miles roundtrip

just did it

4WD Jeep-ish clearance recommended. We have a 97 Cherokee.

take road to Totoweap Point and turn eastish at June Tank (actually a reservoir) then follow the main track south (lots o other tracks on the way)

4. Likes Appalachia liked this post
    Thanks. Sounds fantastic and just the kind of trip we're looking for. Do you think a 2WD Rav 4 could handle the road?

Was it insanely hot?

Cheers.

Insanely hot - no - but we started EARLY. Take extra water and stash some on the way out to the gallery during your hike. As to the question of using a 2WD Rav 4 - probably OK if you don't drop a wheel into a rut, but do understand that a tow out there is $$$. Most of the road is good - you can always turn back if you are not comfortable. Or rent a Jeep Cherokee from Xpress Rentals in Kanab. They have at least two. Four young dudes arrived in such a blue jeep - to match our blue jeep!! We had rented the white jeep from Xpress the day prior while waiting for our jeep to get fixed. My Hiking directions are go to end of road campsite, follow marked trail all the way down to MAIN river bed - its an old pack trail and dead easy to follow, when in main river bed hike down river looking to your left and up a bit. If you get into the really deep walled sections you have gone too far (as we did). Local tow company is Judds (928) 643-7107; Tony and Jan; in Fredonia - they towed ($900) our jeep back to Kanab from Toroweap Point after our jeep dumped its transmission fluid from a fatigued line that split. There is no cell service out there - rent a sat phone or be prepared to walk a long way.

Bucksin at Wirepass

re recently hiked in 2 hours (then out 2 hours) at Wirepass end of Buckskin - only one knee deep pool. Our day was cut short by having to go back town to deal with car issues.

Thanks, Kiwi. I did my research last night and contacted Xpress today. Looks like they'll have a jeep for us, so we're good to go! I'm looking forward to this fun little adventure :)

Thanks for the beta,
    Luicnda

lat and long is already on the web, and I don't think its correct, but the map gives you a general idea. Note that in Nat Geo Topo the old trails are different on Levels 4 and 5, level 5 is missing an old trail that still existsName:  shaman.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  148.6 KB - map loc'n (yellow marker) is WGS84 based on field data. If I can also attach the photo, its upstream in the left riverbed. Name:  DSCN3313.small.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  102.9 KB

Google View and a Road Clue

see imageName:  shamans overview.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  115.8 KB for trail start and end points; then see partial Topo for key to the road, take main road to Toroweap (starts a few miles east of Pipe Springs) then peel off at June Tank and follow the main track (no side detours!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Likes Appalachia liked this post
    Thanks again, Kiwi. We'll have our SPOT tracking device with us, along with the GPS and maps.

This is gonna be fun

Tuckup Canyon is a really nice area, but I'd avoid it this time of year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.