Thread: Tele-hunin

Blog Entries

Tele-hunin

My group and I are doing this combo in the coming weeks and any advice would be great. We have done Behunin but not Telephone.

Would you recommend hiking to the head of Telephone the night before and bivying up there? That way it maximizes our daylight for the full combo me thinks, compared to getting up at 4am... :(

And to those who have done the combo what have been your times?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It of course depends on how fast you hike but I did it at the rendezvous last sept and it took us 11 hours. We werent running either just hiking at a good pace and moving eficiently in canyon. If you get a white pass to drive your car up you can start at 6 ish and be out in daylight

Blog Entries
    11hrs...that's a good time. And that was from grotto to emerald? Nice.

Oh yeah...good idea with the permit. Overlooked that as an option too.

Thanks
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

My buddy and I did it a few years ago with our wives. It was a 12 hour day. I would not do it again, we did not like Telephone and water was a problem. There is a spring at the top of Telephone that we got water from but we struggled finding water after that. Been there done that not going back. YMMV. Really liked Behunin would do that one again.
    Mark

I'd stash water where Telephone connects back up with the West Mesa Trail, or at the top of Behunin. Cabin Spring (near the top of Telephone) is normally reliable, but does dry up sometimes in late summer of dry years. The backcountry desk normally has the condition of Cabin Spring listed on the board behind the desk.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. Now that's a genius idea - stashing water at the end of Telephone. Thanks for the great suggestion.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Watch the rope drag/pull in telephone. We spent a solid hour trying to retrieve the rope on that slanted floor section. I can't remember what our time was but we enjoyed telephone, especially since we did it in the spring and there was quite a bit of water flowing into it. This was before the fire so I'm not sure how the first rappel is handled now. You'll have fun.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    This was before the fire so I'm not sure how the first rappel is handled now.
    Last I heard they were using a charred stump for the anchor that was a little sketchy.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd stash water where Telephone connects back up with the West Mesa Trail, or at the top of Behunin. Cabin Spring (near the top of Telephone) is normally reliable, but does dry up sometimes in late summer of dry years. The backcountry desk normally has the condition of Cabin Spring listed on the board behind the desk.

It has been a dryish year so far. Even when it is running, Cabin Spring is mighty small, and pumping water for even 1 or 2 peeps can take a while. Just carry the damn water. Yeah, stash it down the Behunin approach a few steps, or between where you come out of Telephone and Behunin.

No reason to get all overnighty on it - just move efficiently. It's less than 20 raps - how long could that take?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Oh, and just to be clear, it is Telephunin.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

No reason to get all overnighty on it - just move efficiently. It's less than 20 raps - how long could that take?

Buddy and I tried this few yrs ago. Never done Telephone. Went day after allday soaking rain. Start hiking at 7am as usual. Got up top and hit West Rim Trail, but then stopped on trail (washed out trail) way b4 TH and bushwhacked around awhile trying to find entrance. Then saw charred stump - no thanks! Found another way to rap in. Canyon was very very muddy, sideways awkward, just dang slow. Finally got out and hit trail up to Behunin around 2:30. Bailed on Behunin. My memory says Telephone is not hard but not an efficient canyon to whiz thru. Or maybe operator error!!