Thread: An April week in SW Utah

An April week in SW Utah

I've been doing trips to SW Utah in the summer (hot hot hot!) but last year's didn't happen due to surgery, and we decided to give it a try this year in April. Ah, much better temperature range - some days were pretty cold but mostly the weather was great.

First part of the trip was staged out of St. G. Warm up walk to find the rock art we'd missed (by about 50 yards) on our previous attempt.
    Name:  P1000852.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  220.7 KB

Then a short jaunt up Firepit Knoll - quite brushy, thank goodness the elk winter here!

Name:  P1000903.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  170.5 KB

We also walked the Wildcat Connector trail and then shimmied cross country to get on an eastern shoulder of Pine Valley Peak for a nice late day view.

Next day was Canaan Mountain via Squirrel Canyon. I'd gone up Water Canyon a few previous times. I just love this place, slickrock heaven up there! We topped out on the trail to the ATV track then climbed the slickrock mound to the north for just stellar views and awesome hoodoos.
    Name:  P1010096.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  199.8 KB

Next day for variety I wanted to walk some place in the Red Cliffs so we went up Cottonwood Canyon. It was a very strange day as there was a lot of dust in the air being blown in by the approaching weather. Instead of just walking up and down the canyon, we first walked on the trail which parallels the highway just at the slickrock foothills, then cut cross country on a little use trail I'd seen in aerial photos and into the canyon. All is pretty though the visibility was less than perfect.
    Name:  P1010148.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  180.0 KB

Next day was a transition day to the move over to Mt. Carmel Junction for the rest of the trip. We'd planned on walking Coalpits Wash or similar, but it drizzled as we left St. George and was really raining at the trailhead - not wanting to walk in wet clay we moved on. Stopped at the visitor center but it's not that much fun so we continued to east Zion. We stopped in the Many Pools area and hung out cramped in the car for a while wondering what to do, but the rain turned into snow, and that was pretty, so we went out and walked around in it, finding water flowing into lots of little pools, until we got too wet and cold. Later we warmed up in the motel, sky cleared, and we got a flash of evening sun at Coral Pink Sand Dunes.
    Name:  P1010197.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  192.0 KB

I always try the Wave lottery but never get in, and don't have the patience to go to Kanab every morning to see if I can get a walk in for the next day. But I love the area. So we went to check out an area the photographers call Edmaiers Secret. It's basically the area above Buckskin Gulch on the East side sort of half way from the House Rock Valley road to the beginning of the Buckskin narrows. There's lots and lots of strange slickrock stuff to explore up there!
    Name:  P1010263.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  215.9 KB
    And we dropped into the Gulch at the last easy access before the narrows started slotting up. Walked most of the way to Wirepass before hitting thigh deep mud puddles which we were really not prepared to cross.
    Name:  P1010376.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  190.1 KB

Then, back into East Zion slickrock country. I am quite fond of the area south of route 9 because a lot of the red stuff is exposed once you get over the passes to the south. Totally awesome day on slickrock most of the day with a sweet little peak to bag.
    Name:  P1010486.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  175.5 KB

That was going to be a hard day to beat, but we tried the next day with lower Hackberry Canyon. A few years ago looking north from Yellow Rock I'd seen the most amazing red canyon... It's the Moenkopi layer in Hackberry. We wanted to try a loop suggested by Kelsey. Now I know better than to take his books literally, but I did find a blog from someone (from Kanab?) who had done successfully followed it. So before we started up canyon, we checked out the remains of the old cattle trail as it came down over the rocks to the north, and took a waypoint. The canyon was stunning once we got into it
    Name:  P1010568.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  202.0 KB

After the old cabin we headed east. Now Kelsey has an amazingly good description, with "foto", of the beginning of this old cowboy route, and we found the cowboy signature rocks, but after that we lost it, and basically contoured around on a Moenkopi ledge when we should have headed further east to encounter a higher Navajo cliff band than the one we first brushed against. Views were great, it was getting late, we were clearly close, but chose to play it safe and backtrack in the late day light.
    Name:  P1010552.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  220.4 KB

Next day, back to East Zion. Up to the base of Jug Handle Arch, crossing Keyhole.
    Name:  P1010607.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  183.7 KB

And on over to the "Center of the Universe" for still more slickrock. We knew we had gotten our slickrock legs back on this trip by the relative ease of the pretty steep descent.
    Name:  P1010635.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  203.9 KB

Ah, it was a wonderful week, despite the snow, and the 25 degree mornings!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR, Chris! I followed you by a couple of weeks and took your advice about Edmaiers Secret; it truly is amazing. (will post a TR of my own later).

The dusty conditions in Cottonwood Canyon might not have been nice to face, but your photo is really cool; almost like a fog.

Yes Glenn, it was very strange to wake up to a "foggy" morning in St. George! I know you had a cool trip yourself and I'm looking forward to reading about it when you get a chance.

Awesome pics. Will be visiting SW Utah soon. Looking forward to it more now I've seen your pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveGeek View Post
    I've been doing trips to SW Utah in the summer (hot hot hot!) but last year's didn't happen due to surgery, and we decided to give it a try this year in April. Ah, much better temperature range - some days were pretty cold but mostly the weather was great. First part of the trip was staged out of St. G. Warm up walk to find the rock art we'd missed (by about 50 yards) on our previous attempt. Name:  P1000852.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  220.7 KB Then a short jaunt up Firepit Knoll - quite brushy, thank goodness the elk winter here! Name:  P1000903.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  170.5 KB We also walked the Wildcat Connector trail and then shimmied cross country to get on an eastern shoulder of Pine Valley Peak for a nice late day view. Next day was Canaan Mountain via Squirrel Canyon. I'd gone up Water Canyon a few previous times. I just love this place, slickrock heaven up there! We topped out on the trail to the ATV track then climbed the slickrock mound to the north for just stellar views and awesome hoodoos. Name:  P1010096.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  199.8 KB Next day for variety I wanted to walk some place in the Red Cliffs so we went up Cottonwood Canyon. It was a very strange day as there was a lot of dust in the air being blown in by the approaching weather. Instead of just walking up and down the canyon, we first walked on the trail which parallels the highway just at the slickrock foothills, then cut cross country on a little use trail I'd seen in aerial photos and into the canyon. All is pretty though the visibility was less than perfect. Name:  P1010148.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  180.0 KB Next day was a transition day to the move over to Mt. Carmel Junction for the rest of the trip. We'd planned on walking Coalpits Wash or similar, but it drizzled as we left St. George and was really raining at the trailhead - not wanting to walk in wet clay we moved on. Stopped at the visitor center but it's not that much fun so we continued to east Zion. We stopped in the Many Pools area and hung out cramped in the car for a while wondering what to do, but the rain turned into snow, and that was pretty, so we went out and walked around in it, finding water flowing into lots of little pools, until we got too wet and cold. Later we warmed up in the motel, sky cleared, and we got a flash of evening sun at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Name:  P1010197.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  192.0 KB I always try the Wave lottery but never get in, and don't have the patience to go to Kanab every morning to see if I can get a walk in for the next day. But I love the area. So we went to check out an area the photographers call Edmaiers Secret. It's basically the area above Buckskin Gulch on the East side sort of half way from the House Rock Valley road to the beginning of the Buckskin narrows. There's lots and lots of strange slickrock stuff to explore up there! Name:  P1010263.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  215.9 KB And we dropped into the Gulch at the last easy access before the narrows started slotting up. Walked most of the way to Wirepass before hitting thigh deep mud puddles which we were really not prepared to cross. Name:  P1010376.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  190.1 KB Then, back into East Zion slickrock country. I am quite fond of the area south of route 9 because a lot of the red stuff is exposed once you get over the passes to the south. Totally awesome day on slickrock most of the day with a sweet little peak to bag. Name:  P1010486.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  175.5 KB That was going to be a hard day to beat, but we tried the next day with lower Hackberry Canyon. A few years ago looking north from Yellow Rock I'd seen the most amazing red canyon... It's the Moenkopi layer in Hackberry. It truly is amazing so click here to read about the full body licious workouts. We wanted to try a loop suggested by Kelsey. Now I know better than to take his books literally, but I did find a blog from someone (from Kanab?) who had done successfully followed it. So before we started up canyon, we checked out the remains of the old cattle trail as it came down over the rocks to the north, and took a waypoint. The canyon was stunning once we got into it Name:  P1010568.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  202.0 KB After the old cabin we headed east. Now Kelsey has an amazingly good description, with "foto", of the beginning of this old cowboy route, and we found the cowboy signature rocks, but after that we lost it, and basically contoured around on a Moenkopi ledge when we should have headed further east to encounter a higher Navajo cliff band than the one we first brushed against. Views were great, it was getting late, we were clearly close, but chose to play it safe and backtrack in the late day light. Name:  P1010552.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  220.4 KB Next day, back to East Zion. Up to the base of Jug Handle Arch, crossing Keyhole. Name:  P1010607.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  183.7 KB And on over to the "Center of the Universe" for still more slickrock. We knew we had gotten our slickrock legs back on this trip by the relative ease of the pretty steep descent. Name:  P1010635.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  203.9 KB Ah, it was a wonderful week, despite the snow, and the 25 degree mornings!
    MojaveJeek, these are truly stunning pictures. Thank you so much. Utah so pristine and remote. Beautiful.

I just noticed that photo #8 is at or very near Jenny Peak. That's in the Crawford RNA. I hiked around that area back in April and it's amazing, but not supposed to hike there.

Really? No signs or warnings back there. Nothing shown on USGS topo either. If there is a closed area out there I'd love to know the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveGeek View Post
    Really? No signs or warnings back there. Nothing shown on USGS topo either. If there is a closed area out there I'd love to know the reasoning.
    Without going into the merits for or against (and there are plenty who'll be glad to argue), in addition to the requirements of the Wilderness Act, many National Parks have set aside Research Natural Areas (RNAs) as "Field ecological areas designated primarily for research and education and/or to maintain biological diversity.". In Zion, there is just over 9,000 acres in several sites. They're shown on maps at the Wilderness Desk and in several publications (see below).

Parunuweap Canyon is the most notable (having been closed since 1992), but there are three additional RNAs in the southeast part of the park: Crazy Quilt Mesa, Crawford Canyon mesa (where Jenny Peak is located) and the far southeast corner. There aren't signs marking these areas, as you noted, so enforcement is pretty much non-existent. But, better to avoid the areas, IMO.

(2013 Environmental Planning Projects, see map on page 2)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.amc&cad=rja

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I just noticed that photo #8 is at or very near Jenny Peak. That's in the Crawford RNA. I hiked around that area back in April and it's amazing, but not supposed to hike there.
    Without can you buy phenq at amazon going into the merits for or against (and there are plenty who'll be glad to argue), in addition to the requirements of the Wilderness Act, many National Parks have set aside Research Natural Areas (RNAs) as "Field ecological areas designated primarily for research and education and/or to maintain biological diversity.". In Zion, there is just over 9,000 acres in several sites. They're shown on maps at the Wilderness Desk and in several publications (see below).

Parunuweap Canyon is the most notable (having been closed since 1992), but there are three additional RNAs in the southeast part of the park: Crazy Quilt Mesa, Crawford Canyon mesa (where Jenny Peak is located) and the far southeast corner. There aren't signs marking these areas, as you noted, so enforcement is pretty much non-existent. But, better to avoid the areas, IMO.

I am planning to go for a hiking trip,this look really exciting xD

Parunuweap Canyon is the most notable (having been closed since 1992), but there are three additional RNAs in the southeast part of the park: Crazy Quilt Mesa, Crawford http://adeleweightloss.com/ Canyon mesa (where Jenny Peak is located) and the far southeast corner. There aren't signs marking these areas, as you noted, so enforcement is pretty much non-existent. But, better to avoid the areas, IMO.

MojaveJeek, these are truly stunning pictures. Thank you so much. Utah so pristine and remote. Beautiful.