Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Pandora's Box, Shenanigans, Tight Ass, Chambers, Hard Day Harvey, Paradiso, Topless Turtle/Black Newt and a buncha unbeta'd ones.
    Tight Ass,Topless Turtle/Black: never heard of them before, but with names like that they must be a to do for sure!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tight Ass,Topless Turtle/Black: never heard of them before, but with names like that they must be a to do for sure!!!!!!
    Nasty *** and Tight *** are the old Turville names for the Baker slots (Escalante).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Nasty *** and Tight *** are the old Turville names for the Baker slots (Escalante).
    thank you for the clarification, i still prefer the "colorful" names!!! and i did do the bakers, are any good?
    are they risky (aka crazy silos?)

This year:

The Squeeze

And any canyon I can talk my wife into (right now she only will do repeats):

Elephant Butt,
    U-Turn,
    Larry's
    MMI
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

In No particular order here are some on my wish list. I will probably get about half of these done this year.

-Medevil Chamber (double rappel off the arch)
    -Kolob
    -Zero Gravity
    -Imlay
    -Heaps
    -any previously unexplored canyon
    -a Washington State Canyon
    -a Hawaii Canyon
    -a Costa Rica Canyon
    -a France Canyon

There are more but I'll stick with these being my top picks for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    MMI
    Swap Undercover for MMI.... you will be happy you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    This year:

The Squeeze

And any canyon I can talk my wife into (right now she only will do repeats):

Elephant Butt,
    U-Turn,
    Larry's
    MMI
    she will love dragonfly!!!!and probably zero g if you are not a big chested guy!

I'm going to have to go along with Kuya because I normally just tag along with whatever canyon he is headed for. If we could get to every one of the canyons on his list that would be awesome!

thank you for the clarification, i still prefer the "colorful" names!!! and i did do the bakers, are any good?
    are they risky (aka crazy silos?)
    I haven't done the Bakers yet, but hear that they are really good (they were actually some of the first technical canyons I ever heard about). The east fork is harder and has some high stemming and a pothole. The canyons are on Shane's website.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The canyons are on Shane's website.

Baker Canyon
    West Fork AKA: Nasty Ass
    East Fork AKA: Tight Ass

Name:  baker1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  14.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Swap Undercover for MMI.... you will be happy you did.
    We were headed for Undercover last January 2 but there was snow on the northern slopes. We did Rock of Ages though the ice water instead.

I didn't get wet (stick walking pool arch and jump from log). She got we twice.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    she will love dragonfly!!!!and probably zero g if you are not a big chested guy!
    I took her to Yankee Doodle and she chickened out on the rap. Hasn't been interested in a new canyon since.

Zero G is great.. no rap for us featherweights.

If I remember Dragonfly, the raps are a bit funky. She doesn't like funky raps.

Hey Scott, does n/a mean that you've completed them? If so, then you've been through Anasazi, Lehi and Moepitz?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Hey Scott, does n/a mean that you've completed them? If so, then you've been through Anasazi, Lehi and Moepitz?
    n/a means there was no photo available on the website to add in the photo column.

The list is of canyons I haven't completed, except for a few that I have and are noted after the creation of the list. I have not done Anasazi, Lehi and Moepitz.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    n/a means there was no photo available on the website to add in the photo column.

The list is of canyons I haven't completed, except for a few that I have and are noted after the creation of the list. I have not done Anasazi, Lehi and Moepitz.
    Byron
    Do you need 2 boats?
    Enter-Oak
    Exit -Anasazi.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Byron
    Do you need 2 boats?
    Enter-Oak
    Exit -Anasazi.
    Hey Kurt, if you want to do them, let me know...I have a boat, a Zodiac, that I've used for the last 10 years as my Powell water taxi. I think you have a boat too, eh? And you too, Scott...if you want to come along, I'm sure we can make room for you.

Exiting Anasazi would be tough, because the last couple hundred yards of it is certainly an X or XX slot with slimy, moss covered super tight walls that require high stemming...then you have to deal with whatever you run into at the lake...a rappel? A slimy elevator? I've been about halfway through it before retreating, as my partners, including Kelsey once, said "That's enough!" I think Nat Smale made it all the way.

Anyway, you enter at Little Oak, the next drainage uplake from the big Oak Creek Canyon. You come back that way, too. Awesome scenery and canyons in a pristine wilderness setting...Anasazi and Lehi are especially nice, Moepitz really not so much...although it has a great place for a basecamp.

It's really best to go with someone that been there before...and there aren't that many that have. The route finding required for a first timer, even a good one, would be very difficult. Leaving the marina, back to the marina, 4 nights minimum. You could do these canyons from the Rainbow Bridge trailhead, but that would still require full on backpacking and a minimum of 3 nights...ripping along at breakneck speed. The boat option is the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hey Kurt, if you want to do them, let me know...I have a boat, a Zodiac, that I've used for the last 10 years as my Powell water taxi. I think you have a boat too, eh? And you too, Scott...if you want to come along, I'm sure we can make room for you.

Exiting Anasazi would be tough, because the last couple hundred yards of it is certainly an X or XX slot with slimy, moss covered super tight walls that require high stemming...then you have to deal with whatever you run into at the lake...a rappel? A slimy elevator? I've been about halfway through it before retreating, as my partners, including Kelsey once, said "That's enough!" I think Nat Smale made it all the way.

Anyway, you enter at Little Oak, the next drainage uplake from the big Oak Creek Canyon. You come back that way, too. Awesome scenery and canyons in a pristine wilderness setting...Anasazi and Lehi are especially nice, Moepitz really not so much...although it has a great place for a basecamp.

It's really best to go with someone that been there before...and there aren't that many that have. The route finding required for a first timer, even a good one, would be very difficult. Leaving the marina, back to the marina, 4 nights minimum. You could do these canyons from the Rainbow Bridge trailhead, but that would still require full on backpacking and a minimum of 3 nights...ripping along at breakneck speed. The boat option is the best.
    hmmm--If you stay in little oak, I've camped there several times.
    I have the boat and required amenities for the lake.
    Maybe this fall? Would require a group investment in gas.
    I would have to launch at Antelope Point or Wahweap, likely Antelope Point with the cut high and dry.
    Max group of 4?, 6? less?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

hmmm--If you stay in little oak, I've camped there several times.
    I have the boat and required amenities for the lake.
    Maybe this fall? Would require a group investment in gas.
    I would have to launch at Antelope Point or Wahweap, likely Antelope Point with the cut high and dry.
    On a related note, there are many other canyons down lake.

But I have wanted to check these off the list.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Sounds good Byron, but sadly I've burned up my vacation this year. Holiday weekends (such as Labor Day) are still good, but probably aren't enough time for the Anasazi complex.

Also, have you been through Hidden Passage/Music Temple yet?

I'd really like to go on a 3 day trip to Powell sometime this year.

Maybe this fall?
    Say the word, I'll be there. You could gather as many friends as you wish, as these canyons aren't highly technical...noobs could do them, but they'd have to have endurance...as the hikes in, doing the canyons and hiking back to the camp would be all day affairs. In regards to the fall, not too late...perhaps before the end of September. As you can see, they're wet. And yes, given time, hitting West Canyon on the way back to the marina would be a huge cherry on top of everything. Add two nights for that "little option". All these canyons are incredible.