Thread: Kaibab to Bright Angel Trail, one Day?

Kaibab to Bright Angel Trail, one Day?

I am figureing out our itinerary for our trip out to AZ. We are looking at hiking down the South Kaibab trail and then coming back up the Bright Angel trail in one day. Has anyone done this? Looking at pure numbers, it doesn't look too bad, but there is always the unseen factor. Any hints/tips?
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have gone up and down both trails many times , but never in one day . Others have done it , but that could make for a very long hike , possibly finishing up in the dark with a headlight . Parking is not allowed at the South Kaibab trailhead so the earliest park shuttle would get you there about 6:30 am . 7 1/2 miles down the South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch will take a fair hiker 4-5 hours . Be aware that a lot of stress is exerted on the knees and quadricepts while decending into the canyon . You could rest and eat at Phantom Ranch for two hours before starting back up . The Bright Angel Trail is about 9 1/2 miles with the first 1 1/2 miles fairly flat and along the Colorado River before turning south towards the rim .Indian Garden is half way and another great place to take a break and rehydrate . Some people will go down the South Kaibab Trail and head west along the Tonto Platform to intersect with The Bright Angel Trail for the hike out . This is a shorter version which is easily done in one day for those who are not strong hikers . Points to remember : Travel as light as possible .Snack and hydrate often . No water on the South Kaibab but several sources on the Bright Angel Trail . Be prepared to hike out in the dark with a headlight . Hope this helps . Have lots of fun but be sure to look around you and enjoy what the Grand Canyon has to offer . I hate to be in a rush while hiking and not able to appreciate everything around me .

better done as an overnite

Quote Originally Posted by Snailman69 View Post
    I have gone up and down both trails many times , but never in one day . Others have done it , but that could make for a very long hike , possibly finishing up in the dark with a headlight . Parking is not allowed at the South Kaibab trailhead so the earliest park shuttle would get you there about 6:30 am . 7 1/2 miles down the South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch will take a fair hiker 4-5 hours . Be aware that a lot of stress is exerted on the knees and quadricepts while decending into the canyon . You could rest and eat at Phantom Ranch for two hours before starting back up . The Bright Angel Trail is about 9 1/2 miles with the first 1 1/2 miles fairly flat and along the Colorado River before turning south towards the rim .Indian Garden is half way and another great place to take a break and rehydrate . Some people will go down the South Kaibab Trail and head west along the Tonto Platform to intersect with The Bright Angel Trail for the hike out . This is a shorter version which is easily done in one day for those who are not strong hikers . Points to remember : Travel as light as possible .Snack and hydrate often . No water on the South Kaibab but several sources on the Bright Angel Trail . Be prepared to hike out in the dark with a headlight . Hope this helps . Have lots of fun but be sure to look around you and enjoy what the Grand Canyon has to offer . I hate to be in a rush while hiking and not able to appreciate everything around me .
    Thanks much for the info! Our Arizona plans changed very quickly after our first hike. We went up Humphrys Peak and my partner suffered multiple blisters and other issues. This quickly change our next day as a hardcore hiking day, to a drive and wave to the grand canyon day. But this is now on my hit list.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm