Thread: Lower Eaton Canyon - So Cal

Lower Eaton Canyon - So Cal

We did Lower Eaton Canyon around the end ofMarch while the water flow was decent. My buddy put together a short 1:40 videoso I figured that I would share. Once it gets hot down here, this is oneof the few canyons available with water to keep cool.

<span style="font-family: Verdana">

Credit Jon Dalton for the video

Here are a few pics

Jon getting some air time

Name:  479791_10151295621466920_113907287_n.jpg
Views: 8110
Size:  147.4 KB

Marty on last rappel

Name:  487987_10151398647087800_1985139708_n.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  185.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! I want to go to there....
    --Cliff

Almost went this weekend. One of my favorites. Plus rappelling into bikini clad college girls on the last rap is always a nice end to the day.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls. There is also the entertainment of S&R helicopter hovering over the last to raps to see who needs rescued. You know it is bonehead central when S&R feels the need to do 2 flybys every Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend was a little cool. Did you still forgo the wetsuit?? I have some friends that want to go in the next week or so but wasn't sure how the water was.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
    Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls. There is also the entertainment of S&R helicopter hovering over the last to raps to see who needs rescued. You know it is bonehead central when S&R feels the need to do 2 flybys every Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend was a little cool. Did you still forgo the wetsuit?? I have some friends that want to go in the next week or so but wasn't sure how the water was.
    Key word "Almost" did head out there. But personally I would not be wearing a wet suit in this weather.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Nice - how long did it take and did you need to build out anchors along the way?

8 hours just taking our time. All natural anchors except for the last rappel that is bolted. This last time through, I noticed that someone finally put in a chain anchor epoxied the rapid link closed. Last year, I came to the last rappel and upon inspecting the webbing, I noticed that somebody cut 3/4 the way through the webbing near the knot with a knife. It was not easily seen but someone apparently thought it was funny. Obviously one of LA's finest decided to cut the webbing while taking a break from spray painting all of the rocks in the area.

Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls.
    Those are high school girls.

As of 5/4, the water was still surprisingly cold, especially for a pretty dry year. Even though it was a hot day, about 2/3 of my group were glad they had more than shorties. I'd probably recommend a shorty for comfort, but it's not like sans wet suit is a safety hazard.