Thread: Checkerboard and Kolob Canyon Conditions

Checkerboard and Kolob Canyon Conditions

Checked www.candition.com (love that website by the way) for current conditions in Kolob and Checkerboard Canyons. Nothing recent for Kolob, and there is no page for Checkerboard Canyon yet.

Any recent conditions reports from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know of several groups that have done kolob this year so I'd say most webbing has been replaced. I'm sure it's very cold and wet still. As for checkerboard I don't think it's done too often so might have a hard time gettin info on that.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I can't see any reason not to do checkerboard, now.

Go with a tad bit more than 400' of rope and have a ball.

You'll need a permit, have fun explaining to the BCR where this canyon is
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I can't see any reason not to do checkerboard, now.

Go with a tad bit more than 400' of rope and have a ball.

You'll need a permit, have fun explaining to the BCR where this canyon is
    Haha isn't that the truth. I had a hard enough time explaining where shelf canyon was. I could only imagine explaining this one haha.

I did it last year and the guy put me in as starting at birch hollow TH. I told him that was the wrong spot, but he didn't care and wouldn't change it, even after I showed him on the map where it was. If you're gonna have a permit system then make sure you train your employees to use it right.

And then raise the price of the permits to have perfectly trained employees that are different every year. I would hope that doesn't happen that they spend money on needless tasks. As long as they knew you were in Checkerboard to make sure you got out safely is the ultimate goal regardless of where you started at

I spoke with the Washington Water District this morning. They said that currently they are not releasing water from the reservoir however, water is flowing over the top of their dam. Under the circumstances, they do not recommend anyone entering the canyon. As I recall from last year, the Rangers were not issuing any permits due to this condition. I did call the Backcountry desk this afternoon to get a direct answer. I didn't reach a ranger, just a fancy voice mail system that promised someone would return my call. Does anyone know if permits are being issued under these circumstances? We were thinking of doing Kolob on Saturday.

Ken

Did they say it was actually flowing over, or that it was close to flowing over? Are they releasing while it's flowing over? That's where a bit of experience in actually doing the canyon at or near the recommended 5 cfs comes in handy. :-)

Never mind, just got PM. How do you delete a post?

We are doing some work on a cabin in Kolob and the homeowner confirmed today that the water is flowing over the dam.

Yeah, that is what they said. They are not releasing, it is overflowing the dam. If I hear back from the Backcountry desk, I will share what they tell me.

Ken

If I understand Ram's message correctly, he estimates the water flow down Kolob at over 10 cfs. Most sources say it gets unpleasant in Kolob above 3 to 5 cfs. Sounds like no joy in Kolob this weekend.

We went once when it was flowing over the dam (barely). We checked the water flow near the dam and it was like 8-10 cfs. We decided to hike down to it and check there. Right above the canyon proper it was about 3-4. So we went and I would say it was about 3cfs. But again this was when it was barely sluicing over the dam.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bump. Regarding Checkerboard conditions. Thx

Did checkerboard on the 8th. Canyon was pretty dry, no wetsuit needed. Some difficult anchors in that canyon that are a bit spicy to get to, be careful. Start EARLY, it was about 104 the day we did it, you will want to get to the drainage soon after the sun comes out if you are doing it soon. Have fun.

We have permits for Kolob this sunday, so hopefully it's good. I broke my foot right before our trip last year and had to miss out on kolob and Englestead, I'd hate to miss out again

Did checkerboard on the 8th. Canyon was pretty dry, no wetsuit needed. Some difficult anchors in that canyon that are a bit spicy to get to, be careful. Start EARLY, it was about 104 the day we did it, you will want to get to the drainage soon after the sun comes out if you are doing it soon. Have fun.
    Thanks for the response, it was exactly what we were looking for.

Hit up Kolob on June 27th. Sweet canyon. You can check out the conditions I posted on candition. Won't let me post the direct link here.

Cheers!
    Lindsay
    Attached Images Attached Images      

20. Likes oldno7, Brian in SLC, Udink liked this post
    I did Kolob on June 22, and she was bone dry, check out my trip report on it.

We did kolob yesterday 6/30/13. The flow was supposedly at 3 cfs and it was ideal. The water was cold, my friends were in 3/4 mm and I was in a 3/2 with a 7mm jaket and never felt cold. I'd say conditions were perfect, except for the heat coming up MIA.

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post