Thread: Zion Day 1: Keyhole - Pine Creek

Zion Day 1: Keyhole - Pine Creek

In February I started a new job with a small company (40 people). The company is very social, and upon learning of my canyoneering adventures many were curious. I began sending out the trip reports Bob (@Slot Machine ) was typing up to the company and soon had multiple coworkers asking about getting in on some canyon action.

We recently were placed into teams and so I sent out an invite to my team first, and then planned on sending to others in the company to fill out the Zion team. To my surprise everyone on my work team of five was in! This was now a team excursion and felt kind of special, and may have made the other teams a little jealous . I wanted another experienced canyoneer to come along so I invited my buddy Tyler to help me keep everyone moving.

Sat. May 11, 2013 - Shaline, Marianne, Jordan, Steve, Tyler, Tony

This would be Shaline, Marianne, and Jordan's first technical canyons so the first day would be the standard introduction, Keyhole, followed by Pine Creek. I think everyone was a little surprised at how much fun they were having. Plenty of water in Keyhole to break them into the cold water and get comfortable swimming around in stinky water.

Pine Creek was of course full of people. There were a few groups in front of us going quite slow so we had plenty of time to take pictures and goof off while waiting our turn to get on the next rappel. At the last rappel it looked like there were six groups bunched up, three in front of us, with @iflycr500 's group behind us and @2065toyota 's behind them. We weren't in any hurry and it gave us some time to dry off, relax, and have a few laughs.

Steve and Shaline enjoying the water
    Name:  _MG_6699.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  142.6 KB

Shaline, Jordan, and Marianne checking out whats coming up next

Name:  _MG_6717.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  _MG_6729.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  165.2 KB

Is this the prince that Shaline's been looking for?

Name:  _MG_6730.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  _MG_6734.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  _MG_6760.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  119.5 KB

Steve and Jordan cuddling while waiting at the last rappel

Name:  _MG_6768.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  133.5 KB

Shaline and Marianne loved the view

Name:  _MG_6775.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  140.5 KB

Me and Tyler showing how it's done

Name:  _MG_6773.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  151.4 KB

and now sexy(?) Steve

Name:  _MG_6771.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  _MG_6778.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  _MG_6787.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  127.8 KB

Everyone was excited for the next day which would be Birch Hollow exiting out Wild Wind Hollow ...

-Tony
    Last edited by Absolute Gravity; 05-19-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong pic under caption

2. Likes Udink liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    The company is very social, and upon learning of my canyoneering adventures many were curious. I began sending out the trip reports Bob (@Slot Machine ) was typing up to the company and soon had multiple coworkers asking about getting in on some canyon action.
    We got the canyon fever... and its contagious!!

Nice trip report Tony!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Looks like a beautiful day in the canyon!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

It was a slow day. We were at the end of all the groups. We had 10 people in our group and had brought 4 ropes to make a quick trip. We only used 1 rope and were still waiting at every rap. No big deal though, we got to talk to and meet a bunch of people and had a great time. When we got to the last rap there were 8 people in line to go, so we threw a sling around a rock on far north side and rapped into the upper pool rather than waiting.

I was in Ifly's group - imagine my surprise finding so many Bogley members all bunched up at the start of Pine Creek! Beautiful canyon, I definitely would like to make a second trip when it's a bit warmer though and I can better enjoy the scenery. Of course for now, I just tag along with more experienced folks and practice knot-tying at home :)

A bit warmer. That was pretty typical for Pine Creek. Actually pretty low on water to what it has been the last few times went. Pine Creek is fun when it's full. The coldness you felt was from not being able to keep moving, not from the canyon itself

What time are groups starting? I am taking a group through this Friday, but don't plan on starting until high-noon. Hoping that most groups start earlier. Wishfull thinking?

Noon is the worst, at least it was that day. We usually start early and don't have any issues. We were lazy and left St. George about 10:30 and that's when we hit everybody. But running into groups isn't all that bad of thing. It's fun to hang out and chat with new people. Canyons don't always have to be about speed

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    What time are groups starting? I am taking a group through this Friday, but don't plan on starting until high-noon. Hoping that most groups start earlier. Wishfull thinking?
    Wishful thinking. If you want Pine Creek to yourself, you start ridiculously early.
    --Cliff

Or go late and finish at dusk...

oh well, we are spending Thursday night outside of mesquite so it would be hard to start early. plus i will be guiding 3 rookie friends, so our pace will be slow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Or go late and finish at dusk...
    BINGO. That's what we always do. Just plan on starting in the late afternoon. I've been thru in the morning and it was a parking lot in there. Very frustrating. The few times since we always go around 3-4 and can breeze right thru, only occasionally catching super slow groups at the last rap.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!