Thread: Looking for one or two partners for Zion May 25-May27

Looking for one or two partners for Zion May 25-May27

My partner and I are looking for one or two fit and technically oriented canyoneers for Zion. Weather and the Washington Water District permitting, we plan on Kolob for Saturday May 25. Boundry possibly out the Narrows would be the alternate. Sunday, we have put in for the Subway lottery. For Monday, we are planning to do the Imlay Sneak. Tom reports the water conditions low in many pot holes so there should be a lot of technical pothole escapes. We have not previously done Imlay. You can read my trip reports on Bogley to get an idea of what we have done. Prior Imlay or Heaps experience would be a plus. At a minimum you should have done a bunch of Tom's prerequisite canyons for Imlay: Das Boot, Quandry direct, Squeeze, Kolob and have a clear idea of your own limitations. This is not the trip for you if you are just getting into canyoneering. Join us for one or all of these canyons. Private message me if you are interested and the dates work for you.

Thanks

Ken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thats pretty ambitious: Kolob, then Subway, then Imlay

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Thats pretty ambitious: Kolob, then Subway, then Imlay
    Unfortunately, I live in LA so we have to pack it in. Kolob looks questionable so the first one is most likely to be Boundry out the MIA. Last time we did it, we exited the Narrows the same day. I just don't picture us kicking back for a day between canyons but stranger things have happened.

Ken

5. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    We (another group from LA) will be doing Imlay on Sunday ~ let me know your contact info and we'll let you know the conditions and/or you can rescue us ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    We (another group from LA) will be doing Imlay on Sunday ~ let me know your contact info and we'll let you know the conditions and/or you can rescue us ;)
    Cool. Which pot hole are we bringing the margaritas down to?

Ken

Just a bump. We still have room to add someone to our trip. Our schedule is a little loose here but the primary objective is Imlay sneak. We are getting into Springdale friday afternoon and will make a b-line for the backcountry desk. If there are permits for Saturday, that might be the day for Imlay. Otherwise it will be Sunday or Monday. We are concerned about getting trashed doing a warm up canyon so we are looking for the earliest possible date to go. We also have Boundary out the MIA and fat man of the list of potential canyons this weekend. Private message me if you are interested.

Ken

Just a quick post. Thanks to all who contacted us. Sorry it did not work out We did Imlay Sneak on May 25 and the next day we did Fat Mans Misery (are you sure that name isn't about the hike out?). I was out of gas after that no third canyon. Detailed trip report to follow.

Ken

Ken,

Do you know if they were issuing permits for Kolob?

David

Quote Originally Posted by dsw2925 View Post
    Ken,

Do you know if they were issuing permits for Kolob?

David
    I spoke with the Backcountry desk by phone on Friday and as of that moment, no they were not issuing permits. A few days before I had an email from Ram who opined that the water flow in Kolob might be above 10 cfs and not safe for travel. These conditions can certainly change rapidly. Remember the permit system is there to protect us. I am hoping to return in August or Sept and do Kolob.

Ken

Is the dam feeding Kolob still overflowing? Has the cfs dropped?