Thread: Single stranded rappel, no pull cord, no slack, no thanks!

Single stranded rappel, no pull cord, no slack, no thanks!

Wowza... Skip to 2:25 for the business

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Back in my big wall climbing days I was always surprised to see how useful the Fifi was as well as any hook. The Fifi quickly became one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I also learned that hooks can be totally bomber and I shudder to think back to some of the the moves I used to make off tiny hook placements! Don't even get me started on the bashies....I'm puckering just thinking about it. That pitch on the Desert Shield in Zion comes to mind.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Dude's rapping with a Totem! Rich gets around! (In an unrelated comment, that was the worst music ever.)
    Life is Good

Wow!! I didn't know that Tom knew how to speak spanish.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

doesnt look any more dangerous than a fiddlestick *shrug*
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Seems like there would be a lot of situations where the hook wouldn't release from the quick link. As long as you don't off-weight the rope while on rappel seems like it would be relatively safe. I wonder how long that bungi cord under that much tension will last.(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Seems like there would be a lot of situations where the hook wouldn't release from the quick link
    I sure wouldn't want to be the guy jugging back up the rope to fix it. Same with the fiddle stick, though given the choice I think I'd rather rappel off the fiddlestick.

Interesting, thanks for posting up.

But uh ... no thanks. Too many variables: flat surface, weighting, bungi characteristics, placement, anchor point debris, ... I'm sure there is more.

Reminds me a little on 'Man vs. Wild', when Bear needed his survival rope back so built a Kamikaze Knot. It is a sheepshank knot, then you cut the middle part of the rope. As long as you keep it under tension...ah...it works. You then unweight, flip a bit, and get most of your rope back.

Makes me think of the old saying "There are old canyoneers and bold canyoneers but no old bold canyoneers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    ... a Kamikaze Knot. It is a sheepshank knot, then you cut the middle part of the rope. As long as you keep it under tension...ah...it works. You then unweight, flip a bit, and get most of your rope back.
    What a novel, if not horrifying idea.