Thread: Rock of Ages - 04/21/2013

Blog Entries

Rock of Ages - 04/21/2013

We did Dragonfly Canyon two days before and while I explored the nearby Willow Spring Canyon, Jeff Guest and 2 other buddies were able to do Rock of Ages.

Quoting from his Youtube Page:

"Rock of Ages was on the hit list for a few years but was never very high on my list of canyons to do, but we had some time and decided to do it. It was a steep hike up with a couple class 5 moves, but nothing too bad. There is an optional 170ft rappel by Pool Arch that ended up not doing (we missed it and didn't want to hike up the steep canyon to get up there to it). There was supposed to be a waist deep pothole of water but it ended up only being knee deep. The first Rappel we got to didn't have any webbing on it so I had to set that up. Apparently you can downclimb off to the down canyon side of the rappel (which we didn't know), but rappelling is fun so we rappelled the 50ft down to the bottom.

The last rappel is 100ft (you can use one 200ft rope) and that didn't have any webbing on the bolts either. There was lots of rope marks up higher, but we couldn't find any bolts so we had to climb down the sketchy downclimb to get to the lower bolts that are hanging just off the edge. We also had to set up some more webbing on those anchors. There is a single bolt that you can use to rappel down 7ish feet to the last rappel and it could also be a good idea to have a rope or webbing going from the single bolt to the rappel bolts and be tethered onto that just in case someone slips on the inclined rock. Afterword we heard that you can set up a zipline from the last rappel bolts down to the bottom somewhere. I don't know the details but that would have been fun to do!

Overall I think its a good canyon for beginners.

I shot this video with my GoPro HERO3 Black Edition camera 1080p at 60fps and edited with iMovie and GoPro Cineform. I had my GoPro mounted to my GoScope which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com/store/goscope-gop..."

PS - Be sure to watch in HD to see all the details!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sure would be nice if the people that empty your pockets at the beginning of the canyon could at least spell the name correctly!

Another excellent video BTW...thanks for taking the time to share it.

6. Likes jguest liked this post