Thread: Fat Man's Misery

Fat Man's Misery

Has anyone went down fat man's and then stayed the night the night in East fork of the virgin river? Of course on the side that isn't the "Natural Research Area".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know of several groups that have done it.... unintentionally.

Just curious, what's your reasoning behind this approach? That would be a lot of extra weight to be humping around.

If you do the overnight deal you might want to inform the backcountry desk so they don't think there is an overdue Misery group.

It sounded like fun to do an overnighter in that canyon. We did the narrows and loved it. I figured it would be fun to canyoneering and campout. The next morning leave early to do the hike out. LOL we will inform the backcountry desk if we do decide to do the overnighter.

Just curious, what's your reasoning behind this approach?
    I've thought about doing it in order to make a loop of Misery, Parunaweap and Mineral Gulch on the same trip. Has anyone that has done this care to comment?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I've thought about doing it in order to make a loop of Misery, Parunaweap and Mineral Gulch on the same trip. Has anyone that has done this care to comment?
    I've done them all, but never as one continues loop. But it would be a reasonable 2 day loop. Make it 3 days if you want to do some exploring.

I perfer to hike up Parunaweap as it makes the exit you choose easier then the hike back over Checkerboard. Also, Parunaweap is nice and secluded, it's like having the Zion Narrows all to yourself.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Anyone been down FMM, recently? Going down this weekend. Never done it before. Just wondering if I'll need to bring my wetsuit, or not.

I've seen TRs for spring where wetsuits were needed, and for summer when they weren't. Just not sure what the present conditions (in between) are, and if they would require wetsuit, or not. I suppose it all depends on recent rain activity, which I don't know.

Marty

I went through fat mans yesterday there was some wading but no swimming. I didnt have any wetsuits with me and I was just fine. But I didnt go into the section thats supposed to contain pot-holes.

also for RyanA I've never camped there but as i was coming out I saw a nice little camping area with a fire pit at the top of FMM escape.

So where do you hike up too? I hiked over checkerboard in the heat of the day. it sucked.I was thinking i'd swear of FMM.

I have hiked in from Mt Carmel Junct- the east end of Pararunaweap, and camped just above the Fat Mans junction. It is a beautiful hike, and we were the only ones there, save for the omnipresent ATV tracks. We left our camping gear at the bottom of Fat Mans, and hiked up and dropped in with only our canyoneering gear. Then we packed it all up and out, to the car we had dropped at the Far Mans trailhead. A wonderful weekend, and an even better three day weekend. I agree with Shane, its like being all alone in the Narrows, and just as beautiful. We waited until early evening to do the hike out, it wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by earwig654 View Post
    So where do you hike up too? I hiked over checkerboard in the heat of the day. it sucked.I was thinking i'd swear of FMM.
    I think down Misery, up Parunaweap, and out French Canyon is a premium canyoneering route. Only down side is the shuttle sucks. I've always been lucky enough to have local friends set up the shuttle the day before.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

We are looking at doing:
    down Misery
    up french
    camp
    down rock
    up mineral

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We are looking at doing:
    down Misery
    up french
    camp
    down rock
    up mineral
    Doing that exact trip this weekend, except we will camp near the river in Rock Canyon. Will report back Monday.