Thread: Ticaboo campng

Ticaboo campng

We are heading out 5/18 for a week at North Wash and Ticaboo Mesa. Never been to Ticaboo and really looking forward to it. From what I have read it seems pretty sparse for camping there. Basically find a spot somewhere along the road as you turn east off of 276? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Probably be there 3-4 nites.
    PS: I know about Starr campground but seems too far away isn't it?
    Thanks, Alan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    We are heading out 5/18 for a week at North Wash and Ticaboo Mesa. Never been to Ticaboo and really looking forward to it. From what I have read it seems pretty sparse for camping there. Basically find a spot somewhere along the road as you turn east off of 276? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Probably be there 3-4 nites.
    Thanks, Alan
    What's on your hit list for the weekend? We too are going to be camping and canyoneering in the area next weekend. Eager to hear others opinions on the topic because I too am curious .....

Warm Springs, all 4 Dantes, maybe Good Day and Hard Day. Go up to NWash midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Thanks, Alan
    Good camping on the mesa is limited. There are plenty of flat spots to call camp, but finding one out of the wind is nearly impossible. You will definitely encounter a wind event for at least one of the days/nights if you are planning on staying 3-4 days. The canyons you listed are amazing and worth dealing with the wind to see, but go prepared. Our group has all but given up trying to tent camp out there. We now either egress off the mesa, or sleep in the back of the trucks (with shells) for some protection. In my opinion, Star Springs is way to far to camp and do stuff on Ticabo Mesa.

There is okay (not great) camping at the head of Warm Springs in a somewhat protected area (see Climb-Utah description for Glaucoma canyon TH). There is no protected camping at the Dantes, Smith Forks, or GDJ and HDH. I think most people who tent camp tend to stay in the lower areas around 276 and commute to the TH in the mornings.

Couple of other things of note: 1) There is no firewood on the mesa. If you are planning on fires you will need to bring your own wood. 2) 4-wheel drive is required to reach Warm Springs. A carefully driven 2-wheel drive SHOULD get you to Smith Fork, HDH/GDJ, and Dantes - your biggest problem will be clearance issues. 3) If you have Verizon, you will have cell service anytime you have line-of-sight to Najavo Mountain.

Even though you didn't ask, here is my experience on the canyons you are looking at doing:

Smith Fork
    Psyco D: Short, fun canyon. Is rated "X" only because of one exposed silo move which isn't that bad. If you have done some "R" high stemming canyons in the past, this is a good next step to test your abilities.

Warm Springs
    Fun Slot: Short. Good beginner high stemming canyon. A good warm-up for the other Warm Spring stuff.

Keeper Pothole Fork: Short, with one keeper pothole that can be defeated with a partner assist - wetsuits not required. Cool downclimb into Warm Springs proper. Remember to set a rope at the 7m drop in lower WS before doing KPH.

Pothole Fork: Short. You will need cams or a sandtrap for entry rap. Really cool "rabbit hole" rap at end of canyon. Hardest part of this canyon is the 200' free air jug out at the end. Anchor for jug out is a bomber rock pile on north side of canyon.

Best slot (I think Climb-Utah calls it Glaucoma): Solid "R" high stemming canyon. It has an "X" rating because of a unprotected 40' downclimb. The downclimb is not that bad but definitely needs to be looked at by your most skilled climber before attempting. Once you are beyond the DC the canyon is pretty straight forward high stemming. I think in the 2-3 hours we were in the canyon we only touched terra firma twice. If you feel confident with the DC, this canyon is not to be missed! The exit requires a 200' low angle jug out from the north canyon wall. The jug out is much easier than Pothole Fork.

Dantes/HDH/GDJ: Plenty of beta out there on these canyons. If you can't do all the canyons you listed, I would make sure to at least do the Warm Springs stuff, Dantes, and HDH. You are not missing much (other than a long slog out) by skipping GDJ.

If you need more detailed info, Climb-Utah has good beta on all the canyons listed above.

Have fun! I wish I was going.

MS

6. Likes Byron liked this post
    I pretty much concur with Mark. There are few protected camps on Ticaboo Mesa. It has been pretty hot. It could be that unprotected (from the wind) camping will be appreciated. A breeze will also help with the gnats. (I am recommending Skin So Soft diluted 50% with water these days. Thanks Canyondevil)
    The view at the Dantes TH is spectacular. There are two places to camp there.
    I think camping at the TH for HDH is ok. You could also give the Euphrates TH(bluugnome.com) a try (another nice view).

The canyons to the north (Woody) and the North Wash area were in full water a few days ago. You should probably expect to find Ticaboo Mesa Canyons in the same shape.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    It has been pretty hot. It could be that unprotected (from the wind) camping will be appreciated. A breeze will also help with the gnats. (I am recommending Skin So Soft diluted 50% with water these days).

Hi Penny! ^^Good point^^. My experience on the mesa has primarily been in the spring when the temps are cool, the wind always blows, and you spend most of your time at camp trying to find somewhere to cook and chillaxe out of the weather. If the temps are warm and the bugs are out...you most definitely will want the wind.

9. Likes penmartens liked this post
    Hey Mark,
    I thought maybe you had given up your forum membership, sold your gear, and moved to...Mars.
    I agree about the wind on Ticaboo. When it is a pleasant breeze elsewhere it is a wicked sirocco on the Mesa.

If I recall correctly, someone was taking a shower when his tent started somersaulting away like a tumbleweed. It was quite a site to see him dash after his tent. The only thing that saved him was the wind was blowing away from the Mesa rim.

Another windy time, we all chillaxed in the back of my truck. It wasn't much fun.

Then there was the time it was so windy no one would walk the 20 feet to visit with anyone else. We huddled in our own vehicles like prisoners waiting for parole.

Then there was the time....

There are a lot of windy times on Ticaboo Mesa and they aren't much fun. I say if the wind is blowing, go somewhere else.

Thanks Mark & Penny! Nothing like some water to make stemming a little more fun.

Hmm, I had a tent literally ripped to shreds & destroyed by winds at Hidden Splendor - miss that old A frame!

@Flatiorn- Nice list! I think we are concentrating our energies on the Smith Forks, with a possible stop in the Trachytes on Sunday. Maybe we'll see you out driving around!

@Mark, @Penny- Thanks so much for the info. Everything is just about as I expected. I think we're just going to find something reasonable between 276 and the TH and then with the cunning use of ropes, tiedowns, and tarpology see if we cant build ourselves a shelter.

Thanks everyone that replied. Lots of help!