Thread: Intangible wetsuit questions for Kolob and Imlay

Intangible wetsuit questions for Kolob and Imlay

OK folks, chomping at the bit to be in Zion at the end of the month.

Tom recommends a 7 mm wetsuit for Kolob. I assume that this recommendation is not different for Imlay. I suspect that precisely what one needs will very much depend on cold tolerance (mine not so good) and precisely the conditions at the moment of transiting the canyon.

I have had very poor luck with drysuits. I am thinking of using my 5 mm wetsuit and layering under it 1.5 mm neo pants and a 1.5 mm long sleeve neo top (think rash guard) and augmenting this with a wool watch cap or neo hood. And of course, neo booties for socks. But I am very interested in the collective community wisdom on this subject. And yes, we have done a bunch of wet cold canyons but not Kolob and not Imlay.

Thanks for the advice.

Ken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wore an 8 through imlay and had to keep it unzipped and let water in at every pool to keep myself cooled off in addition to the extra weight. We have another trip planned in July and I plan on taking my 4/3. I have a 2/1 shorty that I may take as a backup but i havnt decided yet. The extra weight in those canyons sucks the energy out of you

Blog Entries
    We did Imlay last year in the first part of June on a hot sunny day. I wore just a shortie and was just fine (I can deal with th cold well I suppose). And my other buddy Dave, wore a 5mm full wetsuit followed by a 3mm full, and he was still cold! Go figure.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'd never wear more than a full 5mm in either canyon during warm weather, but I don't get cold easy. Last trip through Imlay it was a hot day (90+) and I wore a full 3mm and was fine. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3