Thread: Grand staircase info

Grand staircase info

Looking at taking the family up and doing a hike through Willis canyon and was wondering if there was anywhere to camp in that area? Or also if I'm wasting my time with that hike. We have a little boy and a handicapped daughter so Willis looked good being it wasnt technical but still looked like there would be some places where we could hike out and throw a rope over the canyon wall so some of the older kids could rappel and have fun to. However I don't have my heart set on that canyon so if you have any other ideas in that area or anywhere in the escalante area of what we could do. We would be up for even a shorter tech canyon as long as all raps were shorter then around 50 feet and there are no stemming sections. Thanks for any canyon or camping info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went through Willis Creek Narrows once in 1998, so my memory might be a little fuzzy...

I remember it being very easy (kid friendly), but not especially scenic. Consider doing Cottonwood Narrows while you are down there:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slo...h/narrows.html

I remember it being about a good as Willis, and in the same neighborhood. I think we did both Willis and Cottonwood canyons the same day, so it might make a good combo platter for you.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Peek-a-boo and Spooky. Nothing technical, just damn good slot canyon fun.

Mind the heat on the approach ... I recall 30 to 45 minutes "in the sun". Sun hat, sun screen and water, water, water. Once you hit the slots, you are good to go.

Cottonwood is a good family canyon. But I don't think it compares to Willis. Cottonwood is a bit deeper, but it only has one tight section up top and then it widens as you descend. Willis builds all the way until the final narrows, which are a real gem. Willis is also a lot closer (~8 mi of dirt as opposed to 20+) too. I'm not saying don't do Cottonwood, but if you only have time for one I would skip it and go to Willis. You could rappel fairly easy in Willis too as the narrows come in blocks, and getting on top of one of them to rap into would be really easy!

The Cannonville slots are in town(ish) and are surprisingly decent. Just make sure you go in the more southerly one. Round Valley might be up your alley.

In Escalante the Upper Dry Fork canyons are all nice. Spooky is a really fun adventure for kids. Zebra is nice but it is a bit of a walk out there. The Little Valley slots are probably a good choice but short.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll make sure to do a little trip report and post some pics.