Thread: Spry 5-5-13

Spry 5-5-13

On May 5th, I teamed up with my friends Jake and Richard to go down Spry in Zion. Neither one had experienced a Zion slot before and this was to be my first seriously technical one (The Subway and Orderville hardlycount.)

The canyon was a blast! I loved its darker, more sinister look. The canyon just seems ragged compared to others.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]Overall the canyon was fairly straight forward. We wasted three hours on the approachessentially lost. Seriously where are the cairns?! We also went down in the wrong spot, requiring us to go back up. We used way to much friction on the long first rappel. Very arduous that was. My bag got caught on the log for the 3rd[SIZE=3]

2. Likes accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet video! Looks like y'all's first canyon was fun.

I really liked the Stone Sour--nice selection.

Nice work! We did it on Saturday and also had a tough time route finding!

Nice love spry and stone sour so good work. Is it the spot leaving the pine creek wash that everybody is getting lost on? I had the benifits of using a gps my first time through. But if I remember right you can see the two peaks that surround spry canyon once you get to the top of the climb out of pine creek wash. So you have a spot to aim for. Just go towards them then when you reach the petroglyphs just go around and drop in. I wanna do this canyon again.

Sorta. We were unsure where to leave Pine Creek. Then once we got out we wasted a lot of time searching for the easiest route up to the saddle, and huffing and puffing. THEN at the top we did not search for the easiest way into the canyon and just headed down. We ended up cliffed out about twenty feet above the bottom and had to go back up. Our long approach time was mostly inexperience with the route.