Thread: Newbie Alert

Newbie Alert

New to Utah and to Bogley. Thought I'd say hi.

Recently transplanted from Kentucky via Wyoming. Living in the south-western part of the state. Rockville to be exact. I work for the NPS at Zion (NOT ZIONS), so there's me outing myself.

Anyway, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number and quality of fish in the region. I thought moving to the Dixie from Wyoming would slow down my fishing. Glad to report it has not turned out that way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to Bogley!

WyoTucky? I like that.

I was born in Ft. Campbell.

Welcome aboard and please, don't be shy with your reports. We need more trips reports in this section.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Thanks. I will post up some things when I can... and look for info on where to go in the south-western part of the state. I've hit the close ones: Santa-Clara, Leeds, Kolob, North Creek and some of the great stuff on the 89 corridor. Can't wait to fish the Boulder Mt. lakes in the summer when it's 110 here in Zion.

One quick question... what is the deal with stockers here? I fished Asay and had great luck with holdover fish in the early spring, but UDWR must have recently stocked... and it's all 8 inch rainbows that are horribly mangled. I had a 20 fish day, but they all had missing or severely damaged fins, and some had tumors. Do the hatcheries practice torture? Never seen as many fish in awful shape as these.

It's the concrete raceways at our hatcheries. The concrete rubs them to nubs. Nice, huh? The only way to catch "nice" looking rainbows here is to find some wild ones or fish places where they're stocked as fingerlings, before they have a chance to get crowded and rub against the walls and bottom of the raceways at the hatcheries.

Other species will experience this too, but the rainbows are the most popular to raise to a "catchable" size. Most cutts, brookies, browns, and tigers are planted before they're 3" long.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log