Thread: Why is the East Fork of Baker Canyon rated 4/R?

Why is the East Fork of Baker Canyon rated 4/R?

Is it "Risky" due to high stemming and "4" because of upclimbs?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Gracias,
    Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From what I read, it's high chimneying/stemming as well as a couple odd/challenging rappels where you squeeze in and have to move down canyon while still on rope. We'll be finding out how hard it is in about two weeks. Are you headed down there?

From Climb-Utah.com (Our 4 has been modified slightly from the original/what others use.)

The highlighted items will answer your questions.

4 - Advanced Canyoneering: In addition to intermediate canyoneering skills, you will require one or more of the following skills: Advanced free climbing or high stemming. Difficult and/or exposed down-climbing. Climbing using direct aid. Multi-pitch rappels. Complex rope work. Obscure or indistinct natural anchors. Advanced problem-solving and anchor-building. Advanced pothole escape techniques.

5. Likes SRG, ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks Shane.

We'll be finding out how hard it is in about two weeks. Are you headed down there?
    My buddy Will and I were in the area over the weekend and were thinking about it. While camping at the mouth of Neon we were fortunate enough to get a conditions update on Choprock so we did that instead... neither of us had done it before and at low/medium water level it was a cold and fun and long romp. If you end up doing the Bakers please let me know how it goes.
    -Sam
    Last edited by SRG; 05-15-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: didn't proof read it

I've been reading Kelsey's book and was wondering what the normal entrance is. Where did you go in? Here are the two he lists (on each end of the drawn sections. Name:  ChoprockRoute2of4.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  162.7 KB

We descended to canyon bottom just downcanyon from the red X, I think this is the standard route but I'm not sure. Navigation was pretty difficult.

Here is what I've drawn in from Kelsey's beta. Would you agree that this is a good route? I have it in my gps currently. Name:  ChoprockRoute1of4.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  294.5 KB

Mcweyen,
    That's pretty close. Tom has a good description of the approach as well as an accurate map on CanyoneeringUSA.
    -Sam

Thank you much SRG. I had forgotten about those maps on Tom's site. Very good info!

12. Likes SRG liked this post