Thread: Recommendations for GSENM

Recommendations for GSENM

Hi All. I am planning a trip for the last week in May to the GSENM area and have just been overwhelmed in my research - there is way too much to do for one trip even when I try to limit it to the area west of the Escalante. I would like to solicit any suggestions regarding places to visit while in the area. I have 8 days for my wife and I to do as much as possible. We do not have any experience in technical climbing or canyoneering, so we are sticking with non-technical hikes and at least one backpacking trip. Right now the plan is to visit, from Las Vegas, Zion (we have one day and want to do either the Narrows from the bottom or Observation Point (I don't think I would be comfortable enough to do the last bit of Angel's Landing based on Youtube videos)), hike to the Wahweap hoodoos, drive Smokey Mountain Road to Alstrom Point (car camping), then on to Escalante and down Hole in the Rock Road to Coyote Gulch (2 nights exploring the gulch), and also see Calf Creek Falls. That leaves a couple extra days in the area. I welcome all recommendations and also thoughts on Narrows vs. Observation Point. We are spending our first Saturday night in Kanab and going to try to get day-before permits to the Wave, but aren't counting on that happening. Thanks for any input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Over on the Zion Yahoo group forum, Joe Braun reports that "new runs of chains" have been installed on the Angel's Landing route. You may want to give it a go in the morning and do the riverwalk/Narrows in the afternoon. If you are unable to get Wave permits, consider doing an out and back section of Wire Pass and Buckskin. And if you don't have 4wd you may want to head to Escalante via the Cottonwood Rd instead of Smokey Mtn. The Yellow Rock and/or Hackberry Canyon hikes can be accessed from the Cottonwood Rd.