Thread: Clueless Canyon - A first Descent (Maui)

Clueless Canyon - A first Descent (Maui)

So JJ, Anthony, Anthony's wife; Jessica, Kitt, Tim, and my girlfriend Melissa set out on an adventure Sunday May 5 2013. Melissa, myself, and Tim were contemplating which canyon to take our "visitors" this weekend. We had 4 of them visiting from Utah, and our neighbor island Oahu. They were all here to run a canyon or 2 for the weekend. They put all their trust in us, to take them on a fun route. So why not take them on a first descent? We also were told that Jessica didn't want to do anything too "difficult". If we told her it was a first descent, she might not have wanted to come along.

Kitt arrived on Thursday, and we informed him on the plans. The original itinerary to do 2 canyons. However due to a change of plans, we only could run one. Upon further discussion with Tim and Melissa, we decided the first descent would be a lot more of a story to go home and tell your friends about. But of course, he was also told to make sure not to say anything of our devious plan.

We called the canyon "clueless" as an inside joke between us. Since our guests were absolutely clueless on what we were planning. During the whole day during the approach, we were "pretending" the trail was overgrown. Also, because it's been so long since we ran the route, we have forgotten how many drops were in the canyon, and large they were.. though we had an "idea" of what we were gonna run into. That was the "fake story" of how it became the "clueless" canyon.

Our first rap was about 90ft. Tons of water, and a hidden cave/overhang in the middle of the waterfall. It seemed to have caught everyone off guard. Myself included.
    Name:  P5050113.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  190.9 KB

Stream led us here
    Name:  P5050116.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  139.5 KB

Forces you to rappel, or jump hereName:  P5050120.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  128.5 KB

Then brings you to some bolts this guy drilled
    Name:  P5050121.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  157.1 KB

To rap and see this
    Name:  P5050127.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  153.9 KB

Which looks like this from afar. Which is also where the stream merges with Pandora
    Name:  P5050134.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  204.3 KB

In the end, I asked JJ "What would you call this canyon, if you were to be the first to descend it?" He had no idea, as he wasn't thinking of any names. This is where we broke the news to him, and said "well you need to name it". In the end, we stuck with clueless canyon, since it was the whole theme of the day. Route took us about 5.5hrs car to car. That included a crew of 7, and building of anchors. Canyon turned out to be a ton of fun. More pics coming soon!

2. Likes oahu_canyoneer, Dakine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

5. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Best picture of JJ EVERRRR!
    --Cliff

7. Likes Renatomic808, jbick, ghawk liked this post
    So... what canyons are you gonna take me through when I come visit in September?????
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

9. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    That's absolutely fantastic! (Both the story and the pics)

Nice! I presume this is down by Hana? Looks like there's a lot more to that area than just Wiamoku Falls, eh? Looking at the map, there's a buttload of gorges between Huelo and Kaeleku...it appears that you have plenty to explore.

I traveled to Hawaii every January for a 4-6 week vacation for the last 6 years...this last Jan. excluded because of overwhelming work. I prefer the Big Island, mainly because of all the great backpacking. If you run out of stuff to do on Maui, I'm sure you know there are plenty of gorges north of Hilo, too.

I thinking maybe it's time to visit Maui again!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I teach pretty inexpensive classes on bolting Maui canyons. If you can't tell, I'm a pretty serious and experienced bolter. If I like you, I'll even let you in on the benefits of manly/awkward facial expressions while operating a drill.

13. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
    I teach pretty inexpensive classes on bolting Maui canyons. If you can't tell, I'm a pretty serious and experienced bolter. If I like you, I'll even let you in on the benefits of manly/awkward facial expressions while operating a drill.
    The expression is kind of like a cross between Rambo shooting from the hip; JJ in disbelief that he is in another Maui canyon; and trouble holding in his canyon poop, as the drill vibrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    So... what canyons are you gonna take me through when I come visit in September?????
    NONE! BWAHAHAH!

Depends how much time you got, and how much weight you wanna carry. The more you wanna carry, and make my load lighter.. the more fun/higher tier routes you'll see. Bribing me with tons of food helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Nice! I presume this is down by Hana? Looks like there's a lot more to that area than just Wiamoku Falls, eh? Looking at the map, there's a buttload of gorges between Huelo and Kaeleku...it appears that you have plenty to explore.

I traveled to Hawaii every January for a 4-6 week vacation for the last 6 years...this last Jan. excluded because of overwhelming work. I prefer the Big Island, mainly because of all the great backpacking. If you run out of stuff to do on Maui, I'm sure you know there are plenty of gorges north of Hilo, too.

I thinking maybe it's time to visit Maui again!
    You are correct.. mostly East Maui. More after Kailua, and Nahiku. Doing routes closer to Hana are a little more risky. Access, and possible angry locals.

We're picking off "first descents" in that area almost once every 2 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I agree with Cliff on that one, it even beats the ice cream box.
    This looks like an amazing descent you guys!!! Well done.

Also, I giggled at Renatomic's "canyon poop" comment, like one of my students' giggles, gross.... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    Depends how much time you got, and how much weight you wanna carry. The more you wanna carry, and make my load lighter.. the more fun/higher tier routes you'll see. Bribing me with tons of food helps as well.
    LOL :) I will gladly feed you with tons of food! Pick a place and I will take you. I will gladly carry my share of the load too
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Way to get your first descent JJ, Anthony and Jessica! One day I'll get out there and try some of these, hopefully before you move on JJ. Nice work and great way to do it Ren
    - Gavin

19. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    The expression is kind of like a cross between Rambo shooting from the hip; JJ in disbelief that he is in another Maui canyon; and trouble holding in his canyon poop, as the drill vibrates.
    I'd say you're spot on there buddy. Even so, having my canyon roots in the southwest, I will NEVER be able to poop in a canyon. I've seen enough shitty water in my early canyon days. It would be nearly sac religious to desecrate such a clean place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    LOL :) I will gladly feed you with tons of food! Pick a place and I will take you. I will gladly carry my share of the load too
    I'm not sure you realize how much food I REALLY eat, and how lazy I am with carrying stuff uphill. Just ask JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jdamin View Post
    I'd say you're spot on there buddy. Even so, having my canyon roots in the southwest, I will NEVER be able to poop in a canyon. I've seen enough shitty water in my early canyon days. It would be nearly sac religious to desecrate such a clean place.

Its my job to make sure there's enough nutrients in the soil, to keep our Maui canyons green.

Thought I'd add my three fav pics from the trip. Keep on keeping on Ren!

Name:  IMG_9645.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9782.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9855.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  115.7 KB

23. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    badass pics, Kitt!