Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moab - 2nd Rope Swing Death

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Condolences to the family and anyone else involved.
    Unfortunately this is really starting to put a black eye on the sport...
    never understand why people think those swing stuff are interesting at all?
    i found the Spain nepalese bridges over river fun,but they are super safe and just pure fun!!!

seems like a lot of people in Utah just like to kill themselves doing unsafe stuff!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    seems like a lot of people in Utah just like to kill themselves doing unsafe stuff!

yup, that it's it. you nailed it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    From the article, as well as personal experience off the corona arch swing last year my friends and I did.......after you stop swinging, you uncoil your rappel rope (which is attached to you), step into a stirrup and then transition from the swing rope to the rappel rope. It's similar to passing a knot on a rope. A lot of people out there think that you just uncoil the rope and slide down the rest of the rope....but I have never seen it done that way.

So my guess is, he wasn't clipped into either ropes (well, clipped in securely) when he was transitioning from rope to rope and fumbled up the connection somehow.

What a awful way to go!...
    Agreed. When we did the Corona Arch Rope swing last year I almost forgot to clip onto the rope with my belay device once when I was getting off the carabiners to rappel down. The adrenaline was still there and I was distracted by the people below who where talking to me. Luckily I caught my mistake before it was to late, but I can see this same mistake happening with this couple where he was distracted with her safety and whatnot and forgot to clip himself into the other rope before he got off the swing rope. We all just need to be careful and double check what we are doing.

Adrenaline clouds your thinking. You have to have built the muscle memory and safety training through practice beforehand as Iceaxe mentioned for these sorts of activities.

6. Likes recinutah liked this post
    I think I might know his parents. I need to call them and see. They're my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Condolences to the family and anyone else involved.

Unfortunately this is really starting to put a black eye on the sport...
    Climbing deaths have been around for decades and don't get much attention these days. Rope swings, on the other hand, are new and exotic. Probably no more dangerous, but people will think so due to the media exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by recinutah View Post
    ...Probably no more dangerous, but people will think so due to the media exposure.
    Actually, I take it back, they probably are more dangerous, but probably conducted mostly by people with more skill in rigging, anchoring, etc.

What I meant was rope swing fatality rates are probably no worse than climbing. That's still debatable, but makes a more accurate reflection of the opinion I was trying to express.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    Agreed. When we did the Corona Arch Rope swing last year I almost forgot to clip onto the rope with my belay device once when I was getting off the carabiners to rappel down. The adrenaline was still there and I was distracted by the people below who where talking to me. Luckily I caught my mistake before it was to late, but I can see this same mistake happening with this couple where he was distracted with her safety and whatnot and forgot to clip himself into the other rope before he got off the swing rope. We all just need to be careful and double check what we are doing.
    Well well well...look who it is...

Thanks for showing up Jeff, that just reminded me...I need to post our Dragonfly vid.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Logistics of making a safe swing

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm guessing this is the video that will be blamed for this accident.

I've rapped off the Corona Arch, but never swung off it. Thought about making a swing after seeing this video, but after going through the logistics in my head I decided that I didn't have enough experience to do it safely.

To my understand you would need at least two dynamic ropes as the swing and two additional dynamic or static lines. One static line would be packed away in a backpack that the person swinging would carry with them and would be attached to the two ropes via a prusik in order to rappel down once the swing was concluded. Another rope would be used to hoist the two dynamic ropes and rope for descending back to the jump site.

From what I recall in the video, they used every single bolt available and a lot of webbing. I think it was something like 16 individual anchors.

Finally you would need something that weighs about 160-200lbs to throw off the edge in order to test the length and stretch. I imagine you would want to throw it a couple dozen times at different weights just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Well well well...look who it is...

Thanks for showing up Jeff, that just reminded me...I need to post our Dragonfly vid.
    Hi Jman! Yes, I would have posted already, but have been busy at work. Go ahead and post it if you have the time.

So I found out for sure that it was my neighbor's son who was killed. I've talked to the parents about him in the past and he was pretty experienced as a peak bagger at least. Even experienced folk can make mistakes. Aron Ralston, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    ...We all just need to be careful and double check what we are doing.
    What do you mean by "WE"?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by recinutah View Post
    ... but probably conducted mostly by people with more skill in rigging, anchoring, etc.
    the evidence before us suggests otherwise.

Perhaps the FIRST people to do this were very careful and highly skilled in rigging. But now that anyone with a GoPro, a Red Bull and rope is looking to get in on that action, may I suggest that the people doing it NOW are not up to the task.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Perhaps the FIRST people to do this were very careful and highly skilled in rigging. But now that anyone with a GoPro, a Red Bull and rope is looking to get in on that action, may I suggest that the people doing it NOW are not up to the task.

Tom
    I wish I had saved some of the e-mailed questions I got after the first video:

"Do you use static or dynamic ropes?"
    "Will wakeboarding ropes work?"
    "Do you guys just leave the ropes up there for us to use?"
    "I've never used ropes but I'm good with engineering. Could you just send me a diagram?"
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

17. Likes Absolute Gravity, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    But now that anyone with a GoPro, a Red Bull and rope is looking to get in on that action, may I suggest that the people doing it NOW are not up to the task.
    Name:  3uhia7.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  161.8 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post

"I've never used ropes but I'm good with engineering. Could you just send me a diagram?"
    wow..... got to love it.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post

Dang... that had me laughing so hard I squirted Red Bull out of my nose all over my GoPro.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

21. Likes ratagonia, xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Dang... that had me laughing so hard I squirted Red Bull out of my nose all over my GoPro.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    LOL
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato