Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moab - 2nd Rope Swing Death

Moab - 2nd Rope Swing Death

DAY CANYON, Grand County

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm guessing this is the video that will be blamed for this accident.

Anybody have inside beta on how this happened? Did he forget to put himself on rappel?

5. Likes TurboFan liked this post
    All of these recent accidents can all be blamed on GoPro.. for if they had not brought to the market a way to film and distribute these extreme acts people wouldn't be doing them... Everyone now lets sue gopro.. <tongue in cheek emoticon>
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

7. Likes TurboFan, blueeyes liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    ALL of these deaths can be prevented if we as a society demand "common sense" legislation to ban ropes.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes TurboFan liked this post
    And if we can't ban ropes outright, we need to restrict their length.

Less people would die if they couldn't get ropes longer than 30'
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I am curious - does anyone know what swing they're talking about or where it is? And how in the world does someone just unclip from the rope?
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I think the blame falls squarely on the top dogs at ESPN from the 1990s, as well as the makers of Mtn Dew. If they hadn't started the X Games extreme culture everyone would still be around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by recinutah View Post
    Anybody have inside beta on how this happened? Did he forget to put himself on rappel?
    From the article, as well as personal experience off the corona arch swing last year my friends and I did.......after you stop swinging, you uncoil your rappel rope (which is attached to you), step into a stirrup and then transition from the swing rope to the rappel rope. It's similar to passing a knot on a rope. A lot of people out there think that you just uncoil the rope and slide down the rest of the rope....but I have never seen it done that way.

So my guess is, he wasn't clipped into either ropes (well, clipped in securely) when he was transitioning from rope to rope and fumbled up the connection somehow.

What a awful way to go!...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I am curious - does anyone know what swing they're talking about or where it is?
    The article says it was in Day Canyon (usually known as Abe Day Canyon), which is not too far from Gemini Bridges and the Colorado River, depending on which part of the canyon that you are in.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Authorities ID man dead in Grand Co. canyon fall
    By The AP
    Monday, May 6, 2013

MOAB, Utah — Authorities have identified a 32-year-old man who was swinging on a rope in a Grand County canyon before falling to his death.

Deputies say Adam James Weber of the Salt Lake City area died after the accident about 7:30 p.m. Sunday in Day Canyon.

Grand County Sheriff’s Lt. Ken Neal says the man and a woman had been swinging on a rope attached to a cable stretched across the canyon. Neal says the pair reached a canyon wall to rappel down, but the man fell as he was getting out of his harness.

Officials say a medical helicopter crew reached the man while he was still alive, but he later died of his injuries.

The woman wasn’t hurt.

This is the third climbing-related death in Grand County this year.

This is the third climbing-related death in Grand County this year.
    How is this a climbing related death?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

17. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    after you stop swinging, you uncoil your rappel rope (which is attached to you), step into a stirrup and then transition from the swing rope to the rappel rope. It's similar to passing a knot on a rope.
    So not something beginners or those who have not practiced should be attempting.

Anyhoo.... Thanks for the explanation. I've had several people ask me how you get down and never had an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Because the newspaper said so....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Because it included the use of a rope.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Because it included the use of a rope.
    They might as well include rodeo accidents as climbing ones as well.

22. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Condolences to the family and anyone else involved.

Unfortunately this is really starting to put a black eye on the sport...

MOAB — A Salt Lake man died Sunday during a rappelling/rope swing accident.

Adam James Weber, 32, was killed after a 7:11 p.m. accident involving a rope swing combined with rappelling, according to the Grand County Sheriff's Office.

Weber and a woman were engaged in a tandem rope swing that included a rappel to the floor of Day Canyon after completion of the swing. Day Canyon is about seven miles west of state Route 191 and the Gemini Bridge Parking area.

As the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet, said Grand County Chief Sheriff’s deputy Darrel Mecham. The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.

The sheriff's office said the distance of the rappel to the canyon floor after the swing was approximately 100 feet and the rope swing had been anchored to a metal airline cable. That cable had been anchored between the canyon walls, with a span that was approximately 600 feet.

It took several days to put the equipment into place and several people had successfully completed the rappel and the rope swing prior to Weber's fall.

Multiple agencies responded to the scene, but Weber succumbed to his injuries.

The sheriff's office advises recreationers that this is the third fatality the agency has investigated this year involving rope swings or rappelling and urges people to use extreme care and caution.

Board sport addict
    I blame Red Bull, Jackass, and Nitro Circus. And darwin.

That sucks. In defense of the deceased, it's sometimes not easy to make the correct decisions when you're dangling from a rope 200 feet above the ground, and adrenaline is flooding your system.

Poor guy...sounds like he may have been in pain in his final moments. RIP.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.