Thread: Idaho camping and 4x4 travel

Idaho camping and 4x4 travel

Does anyone out there have suggestions for hiking and 4x4 travel in Idaho? Our expectation is to arrive around 8/23/13 in Boise and head out from there.

If anyone has any tips, recommendations, etc please post them up. I'd greatly appreciate it. Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would think that central Idaho has a lot for that time of year. I have Tony Huegels "Idaho Offroad" written in 1993. It has a few trails but mostly smoother family trails. But the book is a start. Other than that, there is not a whole lot on the area. I would start off by ordering the Benchmark Maps Idaho Recreation Atlas. That has a lot of the established backcountry trails and is a good book to have with you anytime driving around up here. Also, if you have an idea of some specific areas, I can possibly email you some Topo Map shots. Also check out the Boise, Salmon Challis, and Payette National Forest Areas. Its in the mountains, lots of hiking, water, and backcountry roads.
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

The Kane Creek area near Ketchum has a lot of very scenic 4wd trails. I don't know if you were looking for somewhere closer to Boise though? It would be ~140 miles to Ketchum from Boise.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm going to pick-up a copy of "Idaho Offroad" as recommended by Tyler above and check into the Kane Creek area. Thanks a ton for the insight...cheers!

Well @JPFreek1 ......where did you end up going?

Man, I'm actually a bit annoyed by this. My buddies I had planned to join with had to go without me because I had a scheduling conflict with the final departure date. So, I missed out on the trip but with that said, I'm planning a follow-up next spring and once I do, I'll post up a trip report.

Stay tuned. :)
    OutdoorX4
    www.outdoorx4.com
    www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
    twitter.com/OutdoorX4

Quote Originally Posted by JPFreek1 View Post
    Man, I'm actually a bit annoyed by this. My buddies I had planned to join with had to go without me because I had a scheduling conflict with the final departure date. So, I missed out on the trip but with that said, I'm planning a follow-up next spring and once I do, I'll post up a trip report.

Stay tuned. :)
    Bummer you missed it. Where did they go?