Thread: Pine Creek, (and Lost knife) 5/2

Pine Creek, (and Lost knife) 5/2

So my GF and I decided to take a scenic backroads route home from our trip to Joshua Tree NP this week.
    We bagged the last day of itinerary of our trip so we had a 12hr head start on the drive home. We left I-15 in Barstow and opted for I-40 east. We stopped in Grand Canyon for a few hours and were going to try to make it home last night. We ended up taking a construction detour north of tuba city that took us clear out to Kaibito. That wasted 2 hours so we decided to go to Springdale, eat dinner at Oscar's, and do a canyon today. Having gone surfing this week, our wetsuits were handy. After getting work covered we set up camp and planned to do Pine Creek. Pine creek was freezing! (There is a dead dear 100ft from the drop in under the bridge that is positively ripe...(gag))

Any way... Between raps 3 and 4 (I think) I noticed that my knife was missing. That knife has lived on several different packs of mine for years. Years of full time ski patrolling, dozens of canyons and countless trail miles. And today it decided to slip out of its holster and disappear. If anyone is headed through there soon, please keep your eyes open for it. It's a Benchmade H2O with a bright yellow handle.

pics of the trip to follow

'Preciate cha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyon booty!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Same one you lost coming out of Imlay?

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Same one you lost coming out of Imlay?
    Yeah, it fell off that time with the sheath. So I improved the attachment only to have the knife slip the sheath this time. Which it has not done in over 6 years of carrying it. Facepalm

Nice taste in knives!

Euro folks are into scissors...

I had a rope fall out of my pack exiting Pine Creek about a year ago. A buddy (Deathcricket, as a matter of fact) posted a note on Bogley in case someone found it. We never heard anyting. Pine Creek will eat your gear.

I got a whole bunch of free gear in Pine Creek last week. Two carabiners and about 20 feet of accessory cord that someone thought was necessary for the anchor for the last rap. The canyon giveth, and the canyon taketh away.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I got a whole bunch of free gear in Pine Creek last week. Two carabiners and about 20 feet of accessory cord that someone thought was necessary for the anchor for the last rap. The canyon giveth, and the canyon taketh away.
    Yeah, that's what I get for scoring a few new links and some crappy webbing in the canyon. I was all stoked when I found some redundant hardware and proceeded to dispatch it with my trusty blade.

Even now I'm sick thinking about it.

It's not just the dollar value of that knife. It was a trusty companion for over 6 years. When I was in the fire service and during my SAR years, I literally used it to save a few lives. I cut seat belts with it, cut stranded and injured climbers from there snarled ropes in below freezing temps, and have given myself countless manicures with it. It had tremendous sentimental value.

If anyone is head through in the next few days, please be hyper vigilant.

Bereft in Ogden...

I know the feeling. I lost the best knife I ever had in a canyon. It took me a long time to replace it.
    --Cliff

Bump.

Holding out hope...