Thread: Wave Permit obtained and cannot go

Wave Permit obtained and cannot go

What is a long story I will make short. I put in a wrong day on my application and was not allowed to change it...and luck as it be, I was selected for August on the day that I cannot do it. Coming from NY so this clearly isn't something I can try often. I am awaiting an email/phone call back from the guy who deals with this stuff, but is there possibly anything I can do with it? Ive spoken with him about changing the date on the application, but he told me that there was no way to do it since it was electronically. Any suggestions, such as is there a way to trade dates with someone else, where I would go to do that or maybe anything else?

This hike means so much to me and cannot express the disappointment in getting it on the day I couldn't do. Im sure many of you who have applied 20,000 times know the feeling...

Im taking a survival class and it doesnt end til later in the day so there is nothing I can do about switching plans...

HELP!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

from the BLM website...

Once I have my permit, can I change dates or group size?

Yes, but you are limited in what you can do. A date change requires a $30 fee and available hiking slots on the current hiking availability calendars. A group size increase is handled by obtaining a new permit for the additional group members, keeping in mind that you cannot exceed the group size limit.

• Permits are non-transferable.
    • If you need to cancel your trip you can cancel the permit by mailing it back to the St. George, Utah office at: 345 E. Riverside Drive, St. George, Utah 84790. Once the permit is received, the trip will be canceled and the permit returned to the calendar.

I believe the part about "available hiking slot" will make it difficult to change dates as there are seldom extra spots available for the wave.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

If you can't go then, there are plenty of places in Utah/Arizona that are just as interesting as the Wave and require no permit. Also, August isn't really a good time to go to the area around the Wave anyway.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

When you state there is a 30 dollar fee...I am a bit confused. I was told that if a spot opens up in the calendar (by mid way through the month if their spot is not claimed) it is up for grabs for anyone.

I do believe there are spots that are just as nice, but for a while now Ive had my heart set on this one, so I really wanted to do it. I can always try to do the walk in, but not sure how busy in August it is, I dont think so bad. I dont mind the heat, and while this might not be the best time of year, I am from the East Coast, so getting here is something pretty rare for me.