Thread: Keep sand out of your tent during a windstorm.

Keep sand out of your tent during a windstorm.

We were camping recently in Escalante. It was VERY windy during one particular night. A lot of sand blew up and under our rainfly and sifted in through the screen above us. It was no fun to wake up with eye sockets filled with sand. Needless to say, this made sleeping very difficult.

What is a good strategy for battling the sand during a windstorm?

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

None...har, har!!! I try to pitch the tent on slickrock, away from the sand. Sometimes however, you can't. I've tried piling sand up along the fly edge as a "barrier" but it finds it's way in regardless. You can keep a majority of it out by doing that, but you still get that "talcum powder" haze all over everything.

The worst is when you're trying to eat dinner and it's like "crunch, crunch"...

I did some backpacking with Mike Kelsey (a very rare occurrence) and he had a single wall tent. He had sewn solid fabric over the mesh vents, as he's completely freaked out my mosquitoes. I remember thinking it would be pretty sand proof, albeit a bit stuffy.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Some said, "pitch a tent..."

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    What is a good strategy for battling sand during a windstorm?
    Motel with a pool, a couple margaritas, and a hot young stripper wife works great for me..... I don't even notice the wind...

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

6. Likes denaliguide liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Motel with a pool, a couple margaritas, and a hot young stripper wife works great for me..... I don't even notice the wind...

YMMV

Here's the story. We camped at the bottom of Fence, got sandblasted, all woke up very groggy. All 4 of us voted 'no' on Choprock. Bad times and a waste of a good day.

I'm usually a fan of the pool/margarita combo, but that is a loooong way from Choprock.
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 05-01-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fence not ringtail
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Some said, "pitch a tent..."
    Yeah man...who needs tent poles, eh?

You are sooo bad, but I walked right into that one!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Motel with a pool, I don't even notice the wind...

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    beat me to it!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Ha! We were car camped out at HITR rd same day. We did a day hike into Willow Gulch that day, and came back to camp. It was going to be our last night anyway as we had been out there for 8 nts. My Ez up (even though, double staked and guylined in 6 spots) was pretty compromised. I looked at my friends thinking, this is going to be a joke cooking food, and chewing sand, and not having a fire, and endless sand finding any little hole to enter our tent. "Pack up you guys, we should be able to make it to town in time for calzones and pizza at Escalante Outfitters. And.... a hot shower and a real bed at the Prospector Inn." So... that's what we did. My answer, to keeping sand out of the tent.

If you are car camping I have found that thin cheap sheets are the answer... When you leave the tent lay a sheet over all of your gear in the tent.. once in the tent hang the sheet(s) from the ceiling (usually from the little loops that are in the tent already) to the floor making like a second or third wall of the tent inside of the screens.. this does make it a touch warmer but provides a sand barrier that the screens don't seem to do (you will still end up with sand all along the edge of the tent where it sifts down the new wall you have just put in but it is soooo much better than without.... Also if you only have a very few openings then some form of barrier just at those works as well
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

12. Likes Taylor, Slot Machine, Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    If you are car camping I have found that thin cheap sheets are the answer... When you leave the tent lay a sheet over all of your gear in the tent.. once in the tent hang the sheet(s) from the ceiling (usually from the little loops that are in the tent already) to the floor making like a second or third wall of the tent inside of the screens.. this does make it a touch warmer but provides a sand barrier that the screens don't seem to do (you will still end up with sand all along the edge of the tent where it sifts down the new wall you have just put in but it is soooo much better than without.... Also if you only have a very few openings then some form of barrier just at those works as well
    Nice!! Thanks for the non-motel, non-pool, non-margarita response!

I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice!! Thanks for the non-motel, non-pool, non-margarita response!

I'll give it a try.
    NP... tis a trick I learned from my grandmother who said that she and my Grandpa used to do it when they were living in tents mining Uranium at the bottom of what is now lake powell :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Or just get a single wall, 4 season tent. My bibler ahwahnee is the perfect desert tent. That's why I bought it.

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Or just get a single wall, 4 season tent. My bibler ahwahnee is the perfect desert tent. That's why I bought it.
    Thanks @Bootboy for the recommendation. ... Whoa, it better be perfect for $650!

I wish tents had some kind of wind rating. Our cheap Coleman tent flattened to the point where it was almost touching our faces during 60-70 mph midnight gusts in Escalante this past spring. Amazingly, it did not break. We need something better if we are going to get any sleep in those kind of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post

That looks like a sweet option as well. Thanks Kody.