Thread: Heaps

Heaps

My friend and I are going down to do Heaps on the 10th. We'll be driving down Thur. night to get an early start fri. morning. We are looking for 1-2 people who know what they are doing to go with us. If you're interested PM me your phone or email and I'll contact you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Curious what your partner evaluation criteria are regarding skill set, physical conditioning, sense of humor, etc. Also, how many times have you done Heaps, and under what conditions?

I'm very interested in a conditions report after you have done it. I will be going through the canyon at the end of the month. Keep us posted :D Thanks!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Wow, hope this doesn't stir up a war or nothing but there is a huge difference in the personalities of the people here on bogley and those on meetup.com. I posted an invite there too and within 2 hours I got mobbed by people wanting to go, most of them people who probably shouldn't be considering heaps yet (I don't think all of them knew what heaps was). One guys response was to tell me everything he'd never done, but he was in good physical condition and thought he could handle it. Its like they had no thought for their personal responsibilty in a canyon and that I would just guide them through and everything would be okay. Still I think I found 1-2 that might be suitable partners so its not all for nothing.

I'm interested but I need to see if I can make a scheduling adjustment on my end. I will let you know

Kody I work that day so if u can't change your schedule around and want to go another day let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Curious what your partner evaluation criteria are regarding skill set, physical conditioning, sense of humor, etc. Also, how many times have you done Heaps, and under what conditions?
    I don't really have a checklist of skills that I require although, just looking for people to give an honest evaluation of themselves and what they're done and then going on a gut feeling. Of course if they respond and say something like I've done pine creek is that good enough then they're probably out. This will be our first time through Heaps so we are looking for people who can handle themselves and won't need babysitting every step of the way. We would love to have a Heaps veteran with us to speed things along, but feel we can make it through without one. Also if anyone has any recent info on the water levels that would be great, even an educated guess would be accepted just make sure you specify which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I'm interested but I need to see if I can make a scheduling adjustment on my end. I will let you know
    We'd love to have you along, the couple that I thought was coming had a schedule conflict they couldn't resolve and so its just the two of us so far.

Just a heads up.... I've done Heaps before as a pair and the one big downside is you are carrying a lot of gear and rope (read lot of weight). The one nice advantage a larger group has is you can spread out the team gear a little more and that helps with the weight. After the first dozen beached whale moves and six log jams that weight starts to make itself known. I consider a group of 3 or 4 to be about ideal for Heaps.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Of course if they respond and say something like I've done pine creek is that good enough then they're probably out.
    Probably? hee hee...guess I'd rather do a twosome than have a millstone. Anyways, thanks for replying and enjoy Zion's finest canyon - take a good camera, 'cuz it's dark in the third nars...and they're the yummiest.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Hey, it's just another canyon...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55...opter.html.csp

maybe even, a good date canyon?

Tom

13. Likes Brian in SLC, hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    maybe even, a good date canyon?

Tom
    It is if you're dating the right woman

15. Likes hank moon liked this post
    It is if you're dating the right woman
    I'm lucky to have found one of those women!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aj84737 View Post
    I'm lucky to have found one of those women!!!
    Amen

We'd love to have you along, the couple that I thought was coming had a schedule conflict they couldn't resolve and so its just the two of us so far.
    As much as I want to go I am going to have to pass. My daughters softball team is going to state and they play on saturday so I am going to go watch her play

19. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Well you will be missed. Family is more important, even when they get in the way of your canyon trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I'm very interested in a conditions report after you have done it. I will be going through the canyon at the end of the month. Keep us posted :D Thanks!
    Curious about the conditions in Imlay and Heaps for later in May as well. Looking forward to your report and watch that last step.

All I know is things had better warm up in a hurry, I'm headed through heaps in 3 weeks. I did pine creek on Thursday and it was brutally cold. Like low 40's water temps in the first few pools.