Thread: Dirty Devil Special Recreation Management Area

Dirty Devil Special Recreation Management Area

For those that read my recent post on BLM regulations in the Dirty Devil corridor that was part of the Constrychnine Accident thread, I have some additional information for you.

I met with the Recreation Planner at the Henry Mountain Field Station last week and he confirmed the regulations that I previously posted. He is working to post a summary of the regulations on the BLM website in the next few weeks and here is a summary of that information:

Group size is limited to a maximum of 12 in the Dirty Devil River corridor. The group size limit of 12 applies regardless of the activity and includes camping, hiking, backpacking, canyoneering, etc.

Special Recreation Permits are required for all organized groups. An organized group is defined as any organized gathering that plans and promotes trips that will utilize BLM lands. Examples of organized groups include Boy Scouts, YMCA groups, school groups, colleges/universities, Meetup groups, family reunions and commercial operations.

The basis for special regulations in this area are due to its classification as a Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA). Solitude is protected in this area which is one of the primary reasons for the permit. The BLM only allows one group of 12 per camping area as well as one group operating in a specific section of the canyon at a given time. This helps preserves solitude and helps prevent multiple large groups from operating in the same area at the same time. An additional reason for special regulations in this area is for the protection of certain wildlife species including Spotted Owls and Bighorn Sheep.

The boundaries for the Dirty Devil SRMA can be viewed by clicking on the SRMA Map link that follows this post. They include the Dirty Devil River and the majority of major tributaries and include everything from within

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Get in the Wild View Post
    Group size is limited to a maximum of 12 in the Dirty Devil River corridor.
    As I suspected, the rule is for the River Corridor... tell the BLM to get a real map so canyoneers can see the boundaries. That map is next to useless. It appears Constrychnine may or may not be included as it's close to the boundary.

It would also be interesting to see which canyons are located on STILA property (the numerous white squares).

Thanks for the update

Keep us posted.

Name:  dd.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  45.2 KB

As I suspected, the rule is for the River Corridor... tell the BLM to get a real map so canyoneers can see the boundaries. That map is next to useless. It appears Constrychnine may or may not be included as it's close to the boundary.
    It looks to me that the border is Poison Spring Canyon.

North side of Poison Spring Canyon = inside SRMA
    South side of Poison Spring Canyon = outside SRMA

At least that's what it looks like on the map. Anyone deny or confirm?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott -

Yes, from what I have seen Poison Springs / Hatch Canyon form the southern boundary of the SRMA.

Get in the Wild -

Thanks for the posting that information. I contacted BLM personnel, likely the same Planner you talked to, last week, and have little to add other than to mention the SRMA does include Horseshoe Canyon and all of its tributaries up north past the Canyonlands NP Hosreshoe Canyon unit. I also did find out that non-SRMA, non-WSA areas only require a permit when group size exceeds 50 people / 10 vehicles.

One last clarification from a post I made in the Constrychnine thread. I should have made clearer that I was pointing out that the American Canyoneers (AC) was trying to make this kind of information (access, regulations, etc.) available in an easy-to-find place, broken down by popular canyoneering areas. I linked to the Roost page, even though Poison Springs slots are considered part of the "North Wash and Ticaboo" area; I apologize for the mistake and confusion. The AC certainly appreciates any feedback on these pages in order to correct errors or make improvements - thanks.

-john

Part of Poison Spring is included, but not all of it. At least according to the map because Poison Spring extends all the way to hwy 95 and the shaded area ends roughly half way.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

BOOOOOOO! I am sick and tired of being told how I can camp and who I can camp with and having to worry about which piece of sand is protected. What do I have to do now? Hire a surveyor to safely place my tent? So what happens with Freezefest? What happens to many scout groups, meetup groups, family groups? AHHHHHHHHH! So frustrated with the stupid, arbitrary, unnecessary policies to fix something that isn't broken.
    Life is Good

8. Likes denaliguide, Udink, Kuya, Slot Machine liked this post
    So what happens with Freezefest?
    Freezefest wouldn't be affected since they camp well outside the area.

I haven't been to Freezefest for a few years, but I assume they don't usually have 12 people in one group in one single canyon? Is this correct?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

It is correct except when it is not...... which is usually once a year....on the first day of the year.... or before or after.... I can neither confirm nor deny any of this.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    So frustrated with the stupid, arbitrary, unnecessary policies to fix something that isn't broken.
    Four different groups for a total of 28 people in Constrychnine Canyon at once. Can't even find a spot at Sandthrax because of so many people camping there. Groups can't be bothered to inspect webbing even if it results in members of their group cratering and breaking bones. Blue John Canyon is a chaotic mess of horribly underprepared people begging for rescue. Blarney Canyon is more scarred up with graffiti than a dark downtown alley. Approach and exit trails meander and braid through cryptogramic crust. Boy Scout leaders too fat to fit through Pandora's Box are being airlifted by helicopters.

If you were a land manager, what part of this would not seem broken to you?

I for one am glad that solitude is a resource that they at least try to manage. What you are witnessing is a user group that has lost control of itself. You can be sure that if the canyoneering community is unable to manage this chaos, then the real managers will step in. We live in a fortunate window of time where there is not much regulation on canyoneering in most parts of Utah. It is up to us whether or not that window will remain open.

Just like hunters, ATV users, target shooters, boaters, base jumpers, etc, we MUST try to manage ourselves better or we WILL continue to lose privileges.

12. Likes deagol, Get in the Wild, Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    Four different groups for a total of 28 people in Constrychnine Canyon at once. Can't even find a spot at Sandthrax because of so many people camping there. Groups can't be bothered to inspect webbing even if it results in members of their group cratering and breaking bones. Blue John Canyon is a chaotic mess of horribly underprepared people begging for rescue. Blarney Canyon is more scarred up with graffiti than a dark downtown alley. Approach and exit trails meander and braid through cryptogramic crust. Boy Scout leaders too fat to fit through Pandora's Box are being airlifted by helicopters.

If you were a land manager, what part of this would not seem broken to you?
    None of what you cited above would be controlled by the arbitrary group size limit. Seems the four groups totaling 28 people in Constrychnine would be OK under the 12 per group limit right? In fact there could have been 48. If you are looking for solitude I would not suggest Sandthrax given that it is 50 feet from the HIGHWAY. Groups not inspecting webbing has absolutely nothing to do with group size. It has to do with training, skill, wisdom and experience. Approach and exit trails may have something to do with group size but 28 in Constrychnine seems to be OK, right? Does Blue John have anything to do with group size??? Again, the inference from your statement is training and respect is needed. As for Blarney, again, group size is not the issues, stupid people is the issue. Group size limits will not fix stupid. As for the Boy Scout Leader being to fat, that seems to be an issue of waist size not group size. I see none of these arguments compelling to limit group size. It is arbitrary.

I for one am glad that solitude is a resource that they at least try to manage. What you are witnessing is a user group that has lost control of itself. You can be sure that if the canyoneering community is unable to manage this chaos, then the real managers will step in. We live in a fortunate window of time where there is not much regulation on canyoneering in most parts of Utah. It is up to us whether or not that window will remain open.
    I have always found solitude when I am not at Sandthrax next to a highway. I have always found solitude when I am not in a trade route canyon. I have almost always found solitude when I am more than 2 miles from the car. Most people don't like to make any more effort than needed so any canyon w/in 2 miles from the car is going to be used, a lot. My feeling is that if individuals don't manage themselves then the government may step in. Arbitrary group size limits are not the answer. Training, respect, humility, and reverence for this planet are the answers.

Just like hunters, ATV users, target shooters, boaters, base jumpers, etc, we MUST try to manage ourselves better or we WILL continue to lose privileges.
    Agreed. Again, group size limits don't do much of anything for the problems you identified above.
    Life is Good

Fair enough, but it is the cumulative effect of all this nonsense that will result in more regulations.

And no, I do not agree that 28 or 48 people in Constrychnine is "OK". Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I am merely suggesting that small group sizes be encouraged by the canyoneering community for safety, impact, and aesthetic reasons. Maybe it is just my personal preference. But after 5 years in Utah, I still am perplexed that so many people like to hike, camp, and canyoneer in gigantic groups. I prefer to avoid such congestion.

It wasn't so much your post that set me off, just feeling the need to vent about current conditions on the Plateau. Nothing personal, I just feel like things are starting to get "broken."

15. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Approach and exit trails meander and braid through cryptogramic crust.
    Just curious... with most the places you mention how do you separate the canyoneer trails from the cow trails as all these areas are open range and them damn cows don't have a lot of respect for the crypto.

But yes, I do support your general concept that canyoneers need to do a good job of policing themselves or someone else will do it for us.

*** And for the record, part of the above statement was stolen from something a cow once posted, but I ate him at McDonalds two weeks ago so the joke is on him.

17. Likes canyoncaver liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious... with most the places you mention how do you separate the canyoneer trails from the cow trails as all these areas are open range and them damn cows don't have a lot of respect for the crypto.
    I was just thinking of some specific areas like the exit trail(s) out of Alcatraz and the entry trail to Morocco. In those areas I am pretty sure that it is just laziness or inattention to detail on the part of canyon folks. I agree that cows don't care a whole lot about crypto, and it can be difficult to care about it yourself when in a cow-heavy area. I also am happy that you ate that smartass cow at McDonalds. That should cut down on the trolling here on bogley by an immeasurable amount.

I only brought it up because I see trails through crypto as one of the most visible impacts of canyoneering that is also one of the easiest for us to self-manage and self-police. It is easier to manage in a small group as opposed to a large one that is all spread out.

And no, I do not agree that 28 or 48 people in Constrychnine is "OK". Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I am merely suggesting that small group sizes be encouraged by the canyoneering community for safety, impact, and aesthetic reasons. Maybe it is just my personal preference. But after 5 years in Utah, I still am perplexed that so many people like to hike, camp, and canyoneer in gigantic groups. I prefer to avoid such congestion.
    Its not just Utah. And, I really think part of the reason canyoneering is popular, is, that its a group activity. Its social. Same as the bouldering aspect of climbing. Sure, you see small groups and solo folks out and about, but, the sport kinda lends itself well to being a group gig.

From meetup groups, international rendezvous, freeze fests, saddle fests, thingy bringees, facebook events...its just darn easy to organize and pull off these large social canyon events.

And...that's....ok...

(Says the guy leaving soon for an RIC event in Madeira...)

I was just thinking of some specific areas like the exit trail(s) out of Alcatraz and the entry trail to Morocco.
    I did Morocco two weeks ago and didn't see a problem with braided social trails. After you exit the slickrock ledge there is only one fairly well defined trail to the head of the canyon that everyone appears to be using. I didn't see that has a problem.

The area between the road to the base of the slick rock is all cowed up and I couldn't define any particular trails. But the one cow I asked did say it was all the fault of the canyoneers so who knows...

I like to travel in groups of six or less and not have my wilderness experience impacted by large, loud groups.

And...that's...ok...too.

The area between the road to the base of the slick rock is all cowed up and I couldn't define any particular trails. But the one cow I asked did say it was all the fault of the canyoneers so who knows...
    There are two distinct access trails from the road to the slickrock when there really only needs to be one. I saw that cow you mentioned but I quickly dispatched him and had a great dinner.

The BLM office in Hanksville just sent me an update regarding the Dirty Devil SRMA. They just completed a new page on their website focused on the Dirty Devil and are promising that more details will be added to the page soon. http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/richf...ost_dirty.html

But yes, I do support your general concept that canyoneers need to do a good job of policing themselves or someone else will do it for us.

*** And for the record, part of the above statement was stolen from something a cow once posted, but I ate him at McDonalds two weeks ago so the joke is on him.
    I've seen this around and it's humans. You can make out the sole imprints from shoes... North wash, Escalante, Swell...

I have seen cow paths also, but the human paths are more recent, especially right out of sandthrax campsite leading up to the slickrock mounds just north.. and all over everywhere around Egypt road..

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    especially right out of sandthrax campsite leading up to the slickrock mounds just north..
    So you are bitching about a 75 yard long trail that leads out of a popular campground to the slickrock?

26. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post