Thread: Utah adventurers believe they located multi-million dollar treasure

Utah adventurers believe they located multi-million dollar treasure

SALT LAKE CITY — If Forrest Fenn is telling the truth, there’s a treasure worth millions of dollars somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe, N.M. The eccentric multimillionaire announced earlier this year that he’d hidden the treasure to leave a lasting legacy and to inspire Americans to get off their couches and to go search for it. Hundreds of treasure seekers have heeded the call, spending countless hours scouring the mountains of New Mexico.

Fenn is a renowned collector and has said the treasure consists of some of his favorite antiques. He told Newsweek these items include ancient figurines, a 17th-century Spanish ring, gold coins, gold nuggets, rubies, diamonds, sapphires and more.

To help those who are seeking his treasure, Fenn was kind enough to provide a cryptic poem with clues to the location.

Two Utah adventurers, Nate Kiser and Brody Valerga, have studied Fenn’s poem and believe they have identified the location of the treasure. They are currently preparing the equipment they’ll need for the recovery. And here’s the twist — they don’t think the treasure is in New Mexico.

I’ve known Kiser and Valerga for years, and have even joined them on some of their past treasure hunts throughout the West. So when I heard that they’d solved the clues from Fenn’s poem, I was undeniably intrigued.

I recently had the opportunity to talk with Valerga to learn more about the duo’s plans.

What do you know about the content of the treasure?

“The exact contents are unknown to anyone except Fenn, but he has confirmed that there is a lot of gold, precious gemstones and artifacts. It is rumored that he put in an ornate bracelet that he would like back. There is also a microsized copy of his biography. He originally intended that he be entombed with the treasure.”

Do you think Forrest Fenn may have been playing a prank with all this? If not, what makes you think it's real?

Forrest Fenn's treasure is said to contain gold coins, gold nuggets, diamonds and other valuables. (Photo: "Lawrence OP" via Flickr

“Some of Fenn’s rivals believe this is the old joker’s farewell trick, but his close friends swear they have seen the treasure and vouch for his character. Fenn is a respected collector and art dealer. And while it is true he has a history of embellishing stories, his biography checks out. Plus, what else is an old adventurer going to do with his treasure? I have too much faith in humanity to believe this is a hoax. The treasure is real.”

What are your plans for the treasure hunt?

“Our No. 1 goal is to find the treasure. And of course we will have fun along the way. We make adventure films so this will be our next exciting project.”

Who is going on the treasure hunt?

“Right now it’s Nate and I and a videographer. We may bring one or two others as long as they disclaim their right to the treasure.”

Nate Kiser has searched for treasure across the Western United States. He is seen here in 2010. (Photo: Grant Olsen)

What strategies are you using to interpret the clues from Fenn's poem?

“Reading Fenn’s biography has been very helpful. There are blogs of other hunters that helped us figure out where it wasn’t. Once we had our location in mind, we checked the poem against it and it matches up perfectly with the clues.”

Do you have any other clues to go off of?

“Fenn gives out one clue a month on the "Today" show. We plan to be up near our location when he gives out the next clue.”

What gives you an edge over all the other people seeking the treasure?

“Months of research and extensive travel in the area where we think the treasure is hidden. Plus, I think it’s fate.”

What equipment will you use?

“We don’t believe the treasure is buried, per se, so a metal detector probably won’t do much good. We will be armed only with our wits and experience — and probably a pocketknife. And maybe a divining rod.”

OK, final question. If the treasure isn’t in New Mexico, which state is it in?

“I don’t want to give too much information away here. I’ll explain everything once we have the treasure in our possession.”

Fenn’s treasure poem:

As I have gone alone in there
    And with my treasures bold,
    I can keep my secret where,
    And hint of riches new and old.
    Begin it where warm waters halt
    And take it in the canyon down,
    Not far, but too far to walk.
    Put in below the home of Brown.
    From there it's no place for the meek,
    The end is ever drawing nigh;
    There'll be no paddle up your creek,
    Just heavy loads and water high.
    If you've been wise and found the blaze,
    Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
    But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
    Just take the chest and go in peace.
    So why is it that I must go
    And leave my trove for all to seek?
    The answers I already know,
    I've done it tired and now I'm weak.
    So hear me all and listen good,
    Your effort will be worth the cold.
    If you are brave and in the wood
    I give you title to the gold.

Source:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can't believe someone from Bogley hasn't found this yet. Whenever I've needed the location of even the most obscure place in the great ourdoors someone from Bogley always has an answer... and about half the time it comes with a map, GPS waypoint and video.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Fenn’s treasure poem:

As I have gone alone in there
    And with my treasures bold,
    I can keep my secret where,
    And hint of riches new and old.
    Begin it where warm waters halt
    And take it in the canyon down,
    Not far, but too far to walk.
    Put in below the home of Brown.
    From there it's no place for the meek,
    The end is ever drawing nigh;
    There'll be no paddle up your creek,
    Just heavy loads and water high.
    So why is it that I must go
    And leave my trove for all to seek?
    The answers I already know,
    I've done it tired and now I'm weak.
    So hear me all and listen good,
    Your effort will be worth the cold.
    If you are brave and in the wood
    I give you title to the gold.

Interesting. Treasures new and old, maybe somewhere that treasures have been compiled over the past?

Beginning where warm waters halt, does this mean a warm spring and where the water turns cold?

Not far, but too far to walk - not great distance down the edge of a canyon but it can't be walked to

Below the home of Brown. Brown is capitalized, so it's not just a color.

....whereever it is, it's just very difficult to get to. This is a main reason why he isn't going after it still in his old age. I love puzzles like this.

Treasures new and old, maybe somewhere that treasures have been compiled over the past?
    I thought it would have more to do with a place name. For example, Old Town, Old Baldy, and Old Spanish Trail are all in New Mexico, just to name a few. Or a nickname locals use for a place ("Old Baldy" seems to be a common name locals call some of the mountains in that part of the country).

Southern Colorado has similar new/old names around, even some not far from some hot springs where they meet a cold creek. Which is also near a place where you have to wade up a narrow canyon with a cold stream (to get to a waterfall).

I don't know if I'm right, but I have a good guess that meets the above criteria. Should I post in on a public form though?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Should I post in on a public form though?
    Ah, the heck with it. My guess is somewhere near the Zapata Falls area of the Sangre de Christo Mountains in southern Colorado. The place fits many of the clues above. I doubt that it is in the gorge with Zapata Falls itself though, because that would be too obvious. Somewhere in the vicinity though and probably near that section of the Sangre de Christo Mountains.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I thought it would have more to do with a place name. For example, Old Town, Old Baldy, and Old Spanish Trail are all in New Mexico, just to name a few.

Southern Colorado has similar new/old names around, even some not far from some hot springs where they meet a cold creek. Which is also near a place where you have to wade up a narrow canyon with a cold stream (to get to a waterfall).

I don't know if I'm right, but I have a good guess that meets the above criteria. Should I post in on a public form though?
    Yeah that seems to fit. The home of Brown though, that's a big clue. Could it be the name of a species, a Brown Bear? Some sort of Brown bird, mammal..... or even a Brown family of vegetation?

The blaze, another type of House on Fire ruin, a petroglyph of a fire, or maybe a hillside with colors of a fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The blaze, another type of House on Fire ruin, a petroglyph of a fire, or maybe a hillside with colors of a fire?
    I was thinking perhaps that referred to a blazed tree.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    True, how long would that scarring stay visible though? I guess a number of years, hopefully somebody finds it before the landscape is healed.

That's what I was thinking; a blaze on a tree.

The home of Brown though, that's a big clue. Could it be the name of a species, a Brown Bear? Some sort of Brown bird, mammal..... or even a Brown family of vegetation?

Brown Cabin is the name of a place in Ouray (also Southern Colorado), also a place where hot springs meet a cold stream, but that doesn't fit the criteria north of Santa Fe?

It wouldn't be a brown bear. Those are probably extinct in both Colorado and New Mexico.

There is a bird named Brown in the Sangre de Christo's:

http://nmpartnersinflight.org/browncappedrosyfinch.html

I guess it could be a birds nest, but that seems like a pretty obscure clue.

True, how long would that scarring stay visible though?
    Probably close to 100 years. You can still find old ones marking trails that were built in the 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Brown Cabin is the name of a place in Ouray (also Southern Colorado), also a place where hot springs meet a cold stream, but that doesn't fit the criteria north of Santa Fe?
    Where was the "North of Santa Fe" clue? I see it in the first post, but I'd like to see how he worded it, to see if it was misinterpreted.

Where was the "North of Santa Fe" clue?
    First sentence of the article.

Brown Trout?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Apparently people have been caught digging around graveyards and archaeological sites looking for the buried treasure.